Having a Revision for Assymmetry - Unilateral Breast Reduction or Exchange Implant?

Having a breast implant revision to correct assymmetry & malplacement from 1st surgery a yr ago. Originally had a breast reduction, full lift & silicone implants under the muscle. The left breast implant pocket is too large & needs to be tightened, plus that breast is about 100cc larger than the right. To even them up, should I have the left breast further reduced while the pocket is being fixed or have a larger implant put on the right? Which is less evasive/risky? Which is easier for the doc?

Revision Breast Implant Surgery

+1

To determine the operation that would most benefit you, you should decide what size / shape breasts you would prefer and communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon.  Demonstrating your goals in front of the mirror or with the help of pictures may be helpful in this communication.  All types of revisionary surgery carry some degree of risk- the important issue here is to ascertain and achieve your goals.  Good Luck!

Breat size asymmetry after breast reduction and augmentation

+1

Reducing the size or volume of implant is much easier and more predictable than a breast reduction. This will be my first choice. 

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision, smaller implant, avoid reduction

+1

Regardless of cost, the smaller breast implant is a better option than breast reduction if this will indeed give you symmetry. Of course the larger implant on the opposite side can be effective as well provided the fuller volume is what you really want.

Best of luck.

peterejohnsonmd

Assymetry after breast reduction

+1

Dear Kitters,

I'm sorry you are having problems with your procedure. I often encounter this problem with standard techniques.

If you like the size of your right breast then I suggest you:

• remove the left implant and have your surgeon reduce the pocket by placing strategic  non-absorbable sutures to hold new smaller implant to match your right breast

If you like the size of your left breast:

• remove the right implant and replace with larger size to match left breast

Neither procedures are risky. But, "tightening" the left breast does present a challenge if your surgeon has no experience doing this.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Bigger implant or opposite reduction

+1

Dear Kitters,

If you are going to have surgery to the left breast implant anyway, then it would be easiest to simply use a smaller implant and avoid any more surgery on the right side.

My main question to you would be - 'what size do you want to be?'.  If you are happy with the size of the right breast, then go ahead with having a smaller implant to match it.  If you prefer the size of your larger, left breast, then you could consider replacement of both implants, but there are more potential complications with this route.

Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon