Revision ASAP?

I just had rhinoplasty done (I'm Asian) , with cartilage harvested from the EAR. My nose was once straight, but immediately after, I notice an obvious bump in the middle of the nose, and a lack of pleasing definition. Is this considered a botched job? Can I have revision immediately?

Bridge irregularity after ear cartilage augmentation

+1

If you feel a bump there now, it will probably worsen with time. Also, redness is not normal. Revision should be done either within 10 days of the original surgery, or you'll need to wait it out. But the redness is of concern and I would recommend communicating closely with your surgeon.

Bump after nose job in an asian

+1

Having performed many Rhinoplasties in the eighties using cartilage, I concluded that a silicone implant is less likely to show irregularity. I was a surgeon who hated silicone nasal implants, but after seeing them used by my old chief of surgery on Asians, and being honest about my results, I decided to leave my prejudices behind and do it his way. Silicone implants have their own set of problems but the irregularity you describe-barring infection- is common after using cartilage. Wait, talk to your surgeon, and only consider other options after a the New Year.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Aisian nose with swelling

+1

The area of yopur bump appears red. Is there a chance of infection? I not you need more time to let the area settle down.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Revision Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Having some asymmetric swelling after having a cartilage graft to your nose may be due to swelling only at this early stage. It's hard to say for certain without examining your nose. I would wait before considering an immediate revision to allow your nose to heal to see how it turns out.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD