Cost of Revision? What is the Percent Chance of Another Experience with Pain and Folded Implant After That?

My left breast hurts I think the implant is folded forward on the top so it's pointing outward at nipple. The bottom of left breast hurts. I can't move it around. It's as if the pocket up top closed. At 4 or 5 months I had swelling and it started morphing into this.. What caused this. What cost should I expect for a revision or to just to take them out. Also chance of multiple revisions? 

Revision policies

+1

As previously mentioned, doctors usually have some policy in place for dealing with undesired outcomes or complications arising out of chance.  You should see your original surgeon (a reason it's better in my opinion to stay close to home when having cosmetic surgery) to see what his or her policy is.  Personally, my patients are covered for a tear from their date of surgery but they do have to cover any other expenses like facility fees and anesthesia services.  Best wishes to you in finding a solution to your problem.

Implants and complications - who pays?

+1

Each office has a different policy when it comes to complications from cosmetic surgery. For many physicians, the root cause of the complication dictates the fee schedule. Immediate complications such as a hematoma, early implant rupture, or infection are often corrected with no surgical fee attached. However, issues with capsular contracture (particularly late) are often subject to surgical fees. A frank discussion with your surgeon will answer these questions for you. As for what is going on with your current implant, this would require a thorough history and physical examination and is impossible to predict over the internet. Recommendation is for you to see your plastic surgeon and discuss your issues in person.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

No professional fee for revision of breast augmentation.

+1

I don't charge a professional fee for revisional surgery after breast augmentation.  It's rare that a revision is necessary.  Nevertheless, there are facility and anesthesia costs.  Furthermore, after several revisions, patients need to consider whether breast implants are really for them.

Capsular Contracture Management

+1

Hi there-

Without seeing you, it would be very difficult or impossible to know what is going on, but it sounds like you may have a capsular contracture, in which your body creates a connective tissue pocket around your implant (this part is expected) which then tightens (or contracts) around your implant (this part is not expected), causing deformation of the implant and possibly discomfort.

The costs of managing this problem vary between practices, but please know that this did not happen as a result of something your surgeon did (or did not do). In other words, this is something that can happen after implants- to anyone, and with any surgeon. It would therefore not be reasonable to expect that your surgeon should fix this at no cost to you. 

Your best bet is to return to your surgeon and discuss the problem with them openly. 

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Revision Options?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery.

I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons;  only during this consultation can you receive an accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Based on your description, you may be dealing with breast implant encapsulation;  this process may explain the discomfort and/or change of breast  implant shape  or position.

Unfortunately, there will always be the  chance of needing multiple operations/revisions.  Therefore, if you feel that you will be okay without breast implant re-augmentation,   removal of breast implants may be your best option.

Again, you deserve a much more thoroughly evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment recommendations (much of which will depend on your specific goals)  that it can be provided  during online consultation.

You will find that the costs of revisionary surgery will depend on exactly what operation is necessary.

Implant issue

+1

It is difficult to say what is going on with your implant.  DId you have an infection, seroma, hematoma?  It is best to get examined, youmay have developed a capsular contracture based upon your statements.  The cost will vary as well.

Cost varies....

+1

While I understand your concerns about pricing, it varies in different practices and with different operations. You really need to be examined by a good surgeon to figure this out.

Best Regards

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Cost of revisions in plastic surgery

+1

Of course we can't diagnose your problem on line but you should go right back to your doctor and be seen as you might have a capsular contracture.  This is one of those things that doesn't get revised for free in most practices because it was your body that made the excessive scar tissue despite the doctor's best efforts.  Not some kind of mistake by the doctor.  Also, once your body has shown that it knows how to make CC, the risk of recurrence rises from about 9% initially to over 20% after revision.  Costs vary so discuss these and all options with your doctor.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS