How Soon Can a Revision Be Done After Lower Laser Facelift?

I had a lower laser face lift done approx. 4months ago. I have a fat pocket that hangs down under my chin right behind chin scar. It looks awful and as bad as before the lift was done. So disappointed! The Dr. said that it will have to wait for a year for a revision as things move around. I do not want to wait that long as it looks so bad. What would a procedure be to correct the pouch. Are revisions usually done for little or no cost? The laser lift was 8,000 dollars. Thanks in advance.

Fat Pocket Behind Chin Scar after 4 Months Following Facelift

+1

A fat pocket behind the chin scar may be amenable to direct removal possibly followed by direct skin excision.  Hard to say without pictures or an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Need a Facelift Revision?

+1

A "laser lift" facelift is typically liposuction combined with a laser such as Lipolite or Smartlipo. I assume this is what you had done. If indeed this is the case, understand that skin retraction takes time. The laser stimulates collagen that makes our skin elastic/retract. Collagen growth doesn't plateau for 6 months or more. It's common for a Doctor to ask a patient to wait 6 months to one year before considering a revision. However, the REAL question is: What is really causing the "pouch"? Is it left over residual fat or, is it loose and empty skin? Depending on your age and skin resiliency, then liposuction, perhaps even combined with a laser, may not ever be enough to retract excess skin! The only solution to get rid of excess skin is surgery. Most reputable surgeons will help you with the cost of revision depending on the circumstances. There must be a cosmetic benefit to justify a revision and the revision procedure must be applicable to your specific problem. It may require an additional procedure that is unrelated to what you originally had done.  I would recommend you speak with your surgeon about this.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait prior to pursuing a revision to your facelift.

+1

We encourage our patients to wait at least 6 to 9 months prior to revising any surgical procedure due to residual inflammation. 

Each patient is unique and so is your recovery.  It is difficult at times to not become impatient with your results but it is imperative to trust your surgeon and his or her suggested time line. 

If you pursue a revision, most surgeons will have a professional fee as well as a facility fee.  It would make sure you clarify the fee scheudle prior to scheudling your revison. 

Timothy Treece, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

Four months is a reasonable time frame to perform a small revision, in my opinion. It is unclear from the description whether you need a small area repeat liposuction under the jawline or whether the bump is due to an abnormality in the closure of the incision under your chin. Either could be revised now. Many surgeons will revise their own work at a reduced cost. If you seek a second opinion you will likely pay more. However, if you don't have confidence or trust in the original surgeon, seeking a second opinion is wise. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Face Lifts and skin resurfacing for 25 years and the rule of thumb has always been a waiting period of at least 6 months between these two procedures.  This allows ample time for the facial skin blood supply to re-establish.  Hope this helps.

Disappointing laser lift

+1

It depends on what was done. Some possibilities - you had

• Laser resurfacing of the skin to tighten it. If this was a CO2 laser, I would not recommend that a patient of mine repeat the laser because it thins the skin.
  • A face lift. 4 months is early for revision but can be done. If it is swelling, more surgery may make it worse. Discuss with your surgeon exactly what was done. 
  • A face lift plus laser liposuction of the neck. I would recommend to my patients to wait a full six months after this, because of the laser effect on the skin. 

Sit down with your surgeon. Come up together with a treatment plan that works for both of you. Major re-operations can be expensive. The cost of minor ones may be minimal.

Sorry you are disappointed. Best of luck.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Facelift Final Result Seen In Three Months.

+1

Hi.

1)  I think you can have a revision done anytime.  Cannot tell you exactly what you need without pictures and more details.

2)  Get other opinions.  I don't know any board certified plastic surgeons who do "laser facelifts".  You don't want another disappointment.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Laser treatments not the same as facelift

+1

I am not sure what you mean by a laser facelift - there are laser resurfacing procedures, laser-assisted liposuction, and surgical facelifts. The timing and type of revision that might be considered depends on what exactly was done.

Richard Baxter, MD

Generally We Recommend Returning To Your Original Surgeon To Discuss Concerns.

+1

When this does not work or the advice does not seem reasonable, it is time to consider a second opinion.  While it is accurate that you are still healing from the facelift, 4 months is a significant period of healing.  Things really should be good at this point.  At the risk of annoying colleagues, generally calling something "laser X" is more about marketing that providing a meaningful advantage.  We all still love the idea of laser surgery and we still get taken advantage with this device in the title of a procedure.  Some procedures are clearly better with a laser, such as all laser refractive vision correction.  A facelift is not one of those procedures.  Facelifts are an art that require a great deal of operative maturity and judgement to do well.  What will a revisional surgery cost you?  If your original operative surgeon performs the procedure, much less than another surgeon correcting the issue.  I suggest you consider doing the homework you may not have done originally and find an ethical facelift surgeon in your community and get a second opinion.