Should I Have a Revision After Breast Augmentation/lift Surgery to Fix Nipple Size and Breast Shape? (photo)

I had breast augmentation and a llift over a year ago. I got 420 on my left and 390 on my right due to assymetry(the right was a little bigger). My breast were unevern before. After surgery, I feel one nipple is visibly bigger than the other and the breast swings to one side. Can this be corrected anymore?

Nipple/Areolar Revision After Breast Lift With Implants

+1

Kudos to you on picking an excellent plastic surgeon.  Your results are almost perfect.  The bottoms are even, the tops are even, the cleavage is as good as it gets. 

The asymmetry in the size of your nipple areolar complex is very very common.  I am in agreement with your surgeon that it is appropriate to do an augmentation with a lift.  He or she saved you from a second surgery. 

If you were my patient, the equalization of your areola could be done easily by tattooing your left areola to make it appear larger, and the edge of the right areola to camouflage the scars.  I do not recommend you attempt to centralize the left nipple areolar complex as this can lead to distortion of both the breast and the nipple areolar complex.

Tattooing would be the least invasive cure.  It can be done under local.  This would truly be putting the icing on what is already an excellent result.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Nipple asymmetry after breast augmentation and lift

+1

Hi.  Overall you have a good symmetry in terms of size and shape.  Your left areola is slightly smaller and laterally positioned.  I suspect that your areolar locations were different prior to your surgery.  Although left areolar location can be changed, it introduces risks for scars as well as changing of your breast shape.  In regards to your areolar size, this can be corrected simply.  Please remember that all women have some degree of breast/nipple/areolar asymmetry.

Sugene Kim, MD

Nipple asymmetry following augmentation mastopexy.

+1

Nipple size can be adjusted after an augmentation mastopexy. This is a minor procedure, however, one needs to be cautious as the resultant scarring may be more of an issue than the original asymmetry. Your photos show an excellent result and compromising that result for an attempt at improvement is cautioned against.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and areolar revision.

+1

I'd need to see your preop photos to make this call because I think you look really, really good  Some degree of asymmetry is always present and needs to be accepted and it is often true that the enemy of really, really good is better. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Ater breast aug, in this case best enemy of good can be "better"

+1
it looks like you have a very nice result. a small amount of imperfection and asymmetry is normal and you mentionned it existed preop.the risk of a problem with a secondary procedures is greater than the chance of accomplishing what would be a very minor improvement in this situation.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Reasonable results vs perfection

+1

Your result based on one picture is reasonable, trying to make it perfect or better when you have a good result sometimes may result in a lesser result.

All breast will change with time, since this is an early result I would suggest you wait a year or two and see what it looks like and then have it reevaluated if you are not satisfied.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Revising nipple size after breast surgery

+1

There will always be differences between one breast and the other both before and after surgery.  The difference can be in breast size, shape, nipple location or nipple appearance.   These differences will often be more apparent for you after having surgery because naturally patients become more observant and aware of there breast details.  While major differences should be corrected, minor ones should be left alone.  Chasing them generally cause more frustration because perfect symmetry can't be achieved.  The photo of breast above show minor differences but overall a very good result.  My recommendations are to leave them alone.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1

Overall, I think you got an excellent result based upon the photo.  Yes, there is some asymmetry of hte areola, but this is certianly within the norm. If you want that revised it could be possible.

When should a good result be made better

+1

In order to know how much asymmetry you had before breast augmentation and a lift we would need to see how you looked before. Overall the photo you show is a very nice after result, and asymmetry can be softened but cannot be eliminated altogether. One nipple is slightly larger and can be adjusted, but consider the inconvenience and the actual gain when things have come out so well.

Revisions After a Breast Lift and Augmentation

+1

The more things you try accomplish during a surgical procedure, the more variables you put into the equation.  For this reason alone, there is an increased risk for needing a revision in the combined mastopexy(breast lift) and augmentation procedures.  This is something I discuss with every patient who is considering an augmentation and lift procedure and why some surgeons will never perform a breast lift and augmentation at the same time.

From your photo, it appears that a revision may be helpful in getting the nipple sizes more closely matched-notice I did not say exactly matched since no woman's nipple sizes are exactly matched.  Regarding the positioning of the breasts, this would require a review of your pre-op photos and an examination.  If your one breast has always been more lateral when compared to the other breast, then it is unlikely that a revision will be able to change this breast's position significantly.  The most common cause for this difference in positioning is a difference in the chest wall shape between the left and right sides of your chest.

Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon who with their knowledge of the shapes and positions of your beasts before surgery should be able to address your questions.  Best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon