Can Revision Rhinoplasty Cost More Than Primary Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty done 3 weeks ago to improve my side profile not realising it would greatly effect my front profile. The side profile is fine now the bump is removed but my nostrils are now very visable from the front so my nose looks like a pig snout. I know it has only been 3 weeks but I feel like I have made a huge mistake and miss my front profile the way I used to look. My question is can revised rhinoplasty cost the same if not more than primary rhinoplasty?

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

While it depends on exactly what is involved in your particular revision rhinoplasty, in general, a revision rhinoplasty does often cost more than a primary rhinoplasty. This is because a revision is usually a more complicated and time-consuming surgery than a primary rhinoplasty. In a revision, there is more scar tissue and the tissue planes can be harder to navigate. Some surgeons charge differently if it is a revision of their own work, since they already have an idea of what was performed the first time around.

However, you are still very early in the post-operative phase and I would give it a few more months before even thinking about a revision. It is normal to have significant swelling for the first 4-6 weeks after your surgery. You will start noticing that the swelling will continue to decrease slowly over the next few weeks. Most experienced surgeons would not consider performing a revision sooner than a year (or close to a year) after your first procedure. Make sure you talk to your surgeon and let him/her know your concerns. Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

Dr.Sunder

Revision Rhinoplasty cost versus Primary Rhinoplasty

+1

In most practices, revision rhinoplasty costs more than primary rhinoplasty. This is due to the increased complexity of revision surgery. That is why it is important for patients to find doctors with a lot of rhinoplasty experience to do their revisions.

However, in your case, I would say that your result is still very early. You will continue to see changes (hopefully for the better) in the next several months.

Good luck,

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty cost

+1

Hopefully time will improve some of the features that concern you.  In regards to cost of revision rhinoplasty it can be the same, more, or less depending on how complex the revision is.

Sam Naficy, MD

Elevated nasal tip after rhinoplasty

+1

It is quite early in the healing process to be considering a revision procedure. Often the tip will settle as healing progresses. You'll need to give it time for this to resolve.

To answer your question, revision rhinoplasty typically costs more than primary rhinoplasty. This is because revision surgery is more complicated and often takes more time, in most cases. Depending on what needs to be done, though, this may not necessarily be the case. This is especially true if more minor refinements need to be done.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Three weeks post-op is too soon to consider Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photos. My hunch is that you won't want to undergo another nose job after you're completely healed. You're swollen now, and over the next few months, your tip will likely drop a bit. That will diminish your nostril-show.

In my practice, excessive nostril show is often treated non-surgically with Silikon-1000, an off-label injectable filler, as opposed to revision rhinoplasty with "alar-rim" cartilage grafts.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Refinement Cost

+1

I have performed Revision Rhinoplasty, Rhinoplasty and Nasal refinement Surgery for over 20 years and yes, Revision Rhinoplasty costs more than primary Rhinoplasty for the simple reason...Revision Rhinoplasty is often a quantum level more technically difficult to perform and there are far fewer superb Revision Rhinoplasty surgeons, IMHO.  Revision Rhinoplasty takes:

• superb aesthetic judgement
  • great deal of Rhinoplasty experience
  • a good sense of where to fiocus efforts to achieve the desired improvemnts
  • when good...is "good enough" and more will lead to a less attractive looking nose.

Looking at the photos, you provided, I'd like to suggest that you take a deep breath and give yourself time to heal from this Rhinoplasty.  Don't panic and start planning your Revsision Rhinoplasty until you're at least 4-6 months post Rhinoplasty

Your before picture shows the nasal tip to be under-roated which makes it appear droopy.  This covers the nostrils from view.  In the after photo, the nasal tip is rotated to a more aesthetically appropriate level of what appears to be about 110 degrees which is in the correct range.  The tip rotation does allow more of the nostrils to become visible and I suspect that this is a new experience for you and may be the source of your unhappiness with your Rhinoplasty.  This should have been explained to you and demonstrated to you in front of a three-way mirror during your initial Rhinoplasty consultation IMHO, so that you would be prepared for the changes after the Rhinoplasty.

You should talk about this with the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that performed your Rhinoplasty at your next post op visit and I'm sure that he/she can calm you down by explaining the basic nasal aesthetics to your satisfaction.  I think you'll feel much better after that.  I wish you well and please, don't rush into anything in haste.

Does Revision Rhinoplasty Cost more than the Primary Operation

+1

In general revision rhinoplasty does cost more than the primary, but this will depend on what must be done. Your surgeon may give you a break on the second operation. You are correct - 3 weeks post-op is too soon to even consider a revision. As healing progresses you may not be disappointed.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Three weeks may well be too early to evaluate the final results of a rhinoplasty.  There will be noticeable changes over the next several months.  That being said, sometimes you just know in your heart that the aesthetics are not what you had in mind.  If you find that you are not happy with the results, rest assured that surgery is not the only answer!  Sometimes corrections can be made with filler.  While filler may not last forever, it generally lasts longer when injected in the immediate post-operative period (i.e. the first 3-6 months after surgery).  If surgery is the best option, make sure you find a surgeon who understands and respects YOUR aesthetic sensibility.  Revision surgery does tend to cost more than the initial surgery as it tends to be more complicated, meaning the surgeon spends more time planning and executing the procedure.  Be patient over the next few months.  Sometimes tip elevation can be exaggerated as a result of the way the cast was applied to the nose.  And remember, even noses that have had rhinoplasty will continue to age ~  and tip droop is a natural side effect of aging, so even if you do nothing, it should drop in time!

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty at Three Weeks is Too Soon

+1

Relax, you have the usual swelling of the tip of the nose that is slowly (very slowly) resolving.  Major bony changes are seen almost immediately, but the tender softer tissues of the tip will take at least 12 months.  It is possible to have problems that require correction sooner, but three weeks is way too soon.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and let him help you understand what to expect.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty and cost vs. Primary Rhinoplasty

+1
First and foremost three weeks is to early to determine any postoperative results from Rhinoplasty. You need to allow some time for the healing process and swelling to go down to determine the actual outcome. I see a lot of revision rhinoplasty patients in my office from other physicians and I will not reoperate on them for at least one year. I have reviewed the photographs that you sent and a profile view would be helpful if you could send one. As far as cost goes typically a Revision Rhinoplasty can be more expensive however this really just depends on what needs to be done to correct the original Rhinoplasty.

Michael Elam, MD