Should I Revise from 339 to 450?

I (5 wk post op) got 339cc silicone unders. I am 5'9" and 110 lbs. Since I am thin, I was concerned about looking heavy and aug. would have been noticeable. I am okay with how I look now, but not 100% satisfied. I wanted to stay proportionate to my frame and have a size that aged nicely (weight gain or sagging). I was deflated 32a pre surgery. I thought a 32c would be great, but do not feel better in clothes. Would 450cc bump me to a fuller look without being huge or should I stay where I am?

Wanting bigger

+2

Hi

At 5 weeks, I would agree with the other doctors here who recommend waiting. I find that after 6 months, many patients who initially wanted to change their size, eventually become more comfortable with their implants and no longer desire a size change. 

question: during your initial consultation with your PS did you "try on" sizers in the bra to determine this implant size? what about that did you like that you are no longer satisfied with? 

Although I agree that a 450 is likely to look fine for you, you need to weigh all the factors before having additional surgery. 

There is the cost, time off work, and potential risks involved. It sounds like you have had no issues with bleeding, infection or capsular contracture. However, every time you make an incision in the breast and change the implants there is the very real, albeit small, risk of such things. Patients will often say, "well it didn't happen the first time" but that is no guarantee it won't happen the second time. 

Not to be too pessimistic, but i think you need to wait and think about this decision before going forward. 

Bennett Yang, MD
washington DC

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Bigger breast augmentation

+2

At 5' 9' tall your lowest normal weight is 125# and you are 110# which puts you 15# under you lowest normal weight.  Your body type must be very slender, so although you are tall which usually allows a sizable implant, you might go too big for your body build. 

Remember that another surgery has all the risks of the first surgery and you might not get such a satisfactory result the next time around.  Beware of the grass-is-greener effect always thinking that you will look a little better if only you were a little bigger.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Should I Revise from 339 to 450

+2

Give yourself a few months before deciding. As the implants settle into place, the size may seem more satisfactory than it does now.

If you choose to upsize, anything less than 100 cc may result in a change that is too hard to notice. Try a "rice test" at home. Fill some stockings with raw rice, and see how much volume you need to get to a good size, using the stockings as fillers in a sports bra. That will help choose the size of a larger implant.

Thanks for your question, all the best.

Implants and size issue

+2

It is very difficult to say what size would be best for you without an exam.  I would give it a few months to "equilibrate." If you are not satisfied, then add volume to your bra and see what you like.

Wait 3 months

+2

I like to wait at least 3 months for the breasts to settle, but as far as a size difference is concerned, I like to go up a minimum of 150 - 200 cc / side.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

339 to 450 cc Implant Upsize

+2

At 5 weeks postop, give yourself until the 3 month mark to heal before revision.  In general, for an upsize to be worthwhile you need at least 100 cc increase.  I would think that the increase you have suggested would likely be OK.   As a taller woman, more volume can usually be tolerated, but your plastic surgeon can better evaluate you.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA

Deficient size concern after breast augmentation

+2

Hello 'tinycurves', thanks for your question.  Many times during a breast augmentation consult, patients ask me what size they think they should be, or if it were my wife or family member, what size do I recommend for them.  I answer them by saying I recommend doing whatever size THEY want to be, and it is not my place to judge and dictate for women what size they should be.  Some women prefer a smaller, modest look, while others like the attention that a DD augmentation affords them.  My job is to help women achieve their goals.  Thus, it is really a personal decision and up to you how large you wish your breasts to be.  That being said, it sounds like you are not happy with the size you are postop.  It is interesting to note that in my experience, if someone is not happy with their postop breast size, 9 times out of 10, they wish they went larger with their implant choice.  It is pretty rare to find a woman who wishes they went smaller.  You taller height and the fact that you started at an A cup tells me that you can accommodate larger volume implants without the significant change that someone who is 5 feet tall and with prior breast volume will notice.  Although 5wks postop is still a bit early and you should give it time for your new implants to settle and fill out your breast envelope, if you are still not happy with your size after 3-6 months, then a larger implant may help you achieve the size you desire.  I recommend seeing your board-certified plastic surgeon to follow you along and address your concerns if they persist.  Good luck! -Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Breast Implant Exchange for Bigger Size

+1

Give yourself a minimum of three months to adjust to the new breast look. If you are still convinced then you want to be a bigger you will likely need to consider going more than 450cc (32% volume change) as such size increase will be less than you think by the numbers. TThe volume may be 32% but the increase in visible breast size will be much less than that.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Larger volume

+1

Size is something that you really need to discuss with a plastic surgeon who can examine you in person.   Everyone is different as far as which volume will work best to meet their needs/desires.  That said, I would say that you are still relatively early in your post-op period.  I tell my patients that they won't see their final results until about three months following their surgery.  Your implants are still going to settle.  Since you are already thinking that you need to go larger, you probably won't be happy at the three month point.  Finally, I would think that you would need at least 100 cc's more in order to see any kind of significant difference in size.  You might even need more.  My father, and former partner, used to tell me that a cup size was roughly 150-200 cc's.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD