Reversing the Damage Done from Extractions for Braces

I had extractions and braces at the age of 22. This was my third time having them and I am very unhappy with the results. Is there any way to reverse the damage that has been done?

Could the extraction sites be opened and replaced with implants or is there any alternative ways to regain my facial aesthetics and broaden my smile by going another route?

Reversing damage from braces often requires use of MORE braces

+3

When teeth are extracted for orthodontic purposes, the result is often what is called a collapsed or narrowed arch. This can affect facial aesthetics.

To reopen these spaces often requires MORE orthodontics and can be very challenging and time consuming. It can be done, but it is not simple. Surgery may be an option as well, so it would be wise to get several consultations to find an office with the skill and trust that you seek.

It is possible that when it is all done, porcelain veneers would be used to finish the case. It all depends on your desires and level of perfection you seek.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Reversing teeth extractions from previous orthodontics

+2

Unfortunately, I have been asked this question many times and you have my sympathy. Traditional orthodontics still removes many teeth to eliminate crowding and results in straight teeth, but results in a narrow smile that is not attractive.  Your smile still can be broadened at any age as long as the health of the supporting bone structure is good.  We do treatment with removable treatment appliances to widen the upper jaw before braces or Invisalign and broaden a narrow smile to give a full celebrity type smile.  This is what you want and universally what everyone would like.  They just don't realize it can be done.  That is one of the primary reasons I currently am writing a book.  It will explain why the procedure could and should be done to give optimal results.  Examples are shown in some of my before and after photos.  Dental implants may be desirable, but not necessary in most cases.  An individual evaluation will need to be completed by a competent orthodontist.

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

Orthognathic Surgery may be an option

+2

Hi,

If you are concerned about your facial esthetics and bone structure, you may want to consult an oral surgeon in conjunction with an orthodontist. In orthognathic surgery, the doctors actually cut the jaw bones and move the bones, (maxilla or mandible), depending on what movement they are trying to accomplish. Orthognathic surgery requires braces before and after treatment.

In addition, when you consult the doctor, I would recomend that you tell the doctor exactly what you are unhappy about and what you want changed and what you want to look like. This will help the doctor understand your expectations and hopefully achieve the results that you desire.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist

Extractions and facial changes

+1

Once again, doctors with an ax to grind are bad mouthing "traditional orthodontists" regarding extraction of teeth.  Done correctly, extractions cases do not have a detrimental effect on the face and often improve excessively ;protrusive teeth.  This is not to say that you were originally treated correctly, but you should certainly get multiple opinions from trained orthodontists

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist