Is It Possible to Reverse Asian Blepharoplasty?

Hi, I couldn't find info on reversing asian double eyelid surgery so I would like to hear more. I had asian non-incisional blepharoplasty done 3 months ago and I didn't like the look as I had a lot of fat which sort of made the result not that great. I just had the process reversed with the doctor making an incision and removing the sutures. My question is whether I will go back to how I looked pre-op after the swelling goes down and how long on average it takes to go back to a pre-op look?

Massage might help

+2

If the sutures were released, massage may help loosen the attachments and let your eyelids go back to their natural condition. Most suture techniques for double eyelids use permanent sutures (prolene or nylon) that do NOT cause inflammation or scarring, so if they have been removed some gentle massage may help the layers of your eyelid go back to their normal relation. Try massaging for 30 seconds throughout the day, 10 or 15 times or so.

Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Reversal of double eyelid after suture technique

+1

If you've had it only for 3mo and the sutures were removed, I would give it a good chance that you will return to most of your presurgical look. It may take several weeks and there are too many factors for your particular situation to answer completely, but these are general statements.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Asian eyelid procedure

+1

If fat was taken out, the fullness that you had preoperatively won't come back.  If the suture creating the crease was removed, the result will be at its best in around 6 months.  Moving the upper eyelid skin by pulling it gently up and away from the tissues inside the lid will help to reduce the change of the crease reattaching.

Best luck.

David Alessi, MD

Difficult problem

+1

I would say very unlike to get what you had before your first surgery.  You probably will get something close to the look you had before the first surgery, but this will take time (2 to 4 months) as the swelling needs to settle.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Reversing Asian Double Eyelid

+1

Removing the sutures is a good start.  With time (weeks to months) your eyelids will likely return to a look similar to your preop appearance.  HOWEVER, it does depend on how your surgeon placed the sutures initially.  Did he/she use a punch that created several holes at once through which the sutures were placed?  If this is the case the eyelids may not regain their originial look due to collums of scar tissue that will hole the crease in.  If the sutures were placed without the benefit of deep puncture-like cutting then there is a chance.  Massage can certainly help.

It sounds like you needed a modification of a suture technique and incisional blepharoplasty. 

If your surgeon is truely experienced in the Asian eyelid he/she could probably give you some realistic input.

Hope that helps.  Do you have photos?

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no telling if letting these sutures out will restore your appearance.

+1

It is possible that scaring related to your eyelid treading will prevent the eyelids from return to their pre-procedure appearance.  I recommend that you let the eyelids settle for a few weeks to see what happens.  If the eyelids do not return to the desired appearance, please do not expect the person who threaded your eyelid to correct this.  At that point, you may need actual reconstructive surgery.  See a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgery for this.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic director on its website asoprs.org) which will help you identify a highly qualified oculoplastic surgeon.

+1

Even after non-incisional Asian blepharoplasty with the suture technique, there is the possibility of some scar formation. The scarring may maintain or partially maintain the crease even if the suture is removed. It will take a few weeks to months to heal completely from your new incisions. At this point it is too early to tell if any of the crease will remain.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Reston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reversing Blepharoplasty

+1

It sounds like the excess fat in your upper eyelid prevented you from getting your desired result.   It will take a couple of weeks for the swelling to decrease from the incision itself.  How long it will take to get back to your preop state will vary based upon how much manipulation was done on the inside.

Kimberly Lee, MD