Is is Possible to Reverse a Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty 2 years ago to have 3 things done: 1) Dorsal hump reduced 2) Septum shortened 3) Nostrils reduced I am now starting to regret 1) and 2). Reason being, the smaller dorsal hump seems to accentuate the bulbessness of my nasal tip, and by shortening my septum, my nostrils actually appear more pronounced.

I would like to know whether it is possible to get my dorsal hump back to how it was, and to have my septum lengthened slightly so that my nostrils do not look so upturned. If so, how effective would the results be?

Rhinoplasty repair - fixing a poor nose job

+2

Rhinoplasty procedures can improve structural dimensions of the nose. In this particular case, the structural components of the nose were reduced, now necessitating a secondary rhinoplasty to build the dorsum and nasal tip back. This may require harvesting of autologous cartilage to improve structural support and is quite possible.

See an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

It is impossible to completely reverse a rhinoplasty, but there are ways to build up the dorsal hump if it has been over-resected. This can be done with cartilage graft taken from the inside of the nose. If the septum has been shortened too much, extended spreader grafts can be done along with some other maneuvers in an attempt to lengthen the nose. The flaring nostrils can be reduced with alar base incisions if needed. The bridge can probably be built up several millimeters and the tip can be projected a few millimeters.

Rhinoplasty "reversal"

+1

Yes, you can always have another nose surgery to help you achieve what you were looking for, namely more balance in your face and to "hide" your nose. You can take part of the septum or even ear and build up the bridge, reduce the size of the flaring nostrils among other things.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Reversal

+1

First, you need to see an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon to evaluate your entire face and the effect of the aesthetic changes your contemplating. Discuss whether or not your original nose is the best goal if you have additional surgery.

Possible to Reverse Rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult for me to see well your areas of concern in the photos that you offered. Close-up and more clinically oriented photos would allow me to give you a better answer to your questions. Nevertheless, it seems to me that your contours can be improved with a revision rhinoplasty. It is important that you seek the services of a rhinoplasty surgeon with substantial experience in both primary and revision rhinoplasty.

In good hands, I feel confident that your desired improvements can be achieved. The surgeon, or surgeons, that you consult with can discuss the potential effectiveness of procedures in achieving the results you desire.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reverse a rhinoplasty

+1

You have a very difficult post rhinoplasty issue. I would recommend you see Dr. Jack Gunter in Dallas, Texas for this revision.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Revision rhinoplasty to fix an over-resected dorsum and over-rotated tip

+1

I can appreciate your dissatisfaction with the rhinoplasty results. The areas that you complain about can be corrected in the hands of a qualified rhinoplasty surgeon. The over-resection of the dorsum can be corrected with an implant or graft, and the tip rotation can be reduced with cartilage grafting maneuvers.

Although the exact old shape of your nose may be difficult to duplicate, you are likely to have a much improved result from revision rhinoplasty.

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

Almost impossible to reverse a rhinoplasty

+1

A rhinoplasty can be revised to give the nose a better appearance but it is next to impossibe to get you old nose back.  If you are disappointed in your new nose get a secondary rhinoplasty specialist to reoperate to try to improve it.  Your oid nose must not have looked too good for you to have wanted the lst operation so instead of trying to make it looked like it used to why not have the 2nd operation to make it look better which a 2nd rhinoplasty specialist should be able to do.  

Jack P. Gunter, MD

Reversing a Rhinoplasty is NOT Easy

+1

You do have a substandard rhinoplasty result. But, a complete reversal of your surgical result is not possible. It is in your best interest to see a surgeon who is experienced in revision Rhinoplasty surgery and show him your Pre-surgery photos and see what he would suggest you have done.

In my opinion. you would benefit from a dorsal graft to raise your overly reduced dorsum as well as Spreader Grafts placed along the septum to lengthen the nose and de-rotate the tip downwards from its overly upward rotated position.

Good Luck.

Revision rhinoplasty, though difficult, could provide improvement

+1

Revision rhinoplasty could probably provide improvement for some of your concerns. The bridge of your nose could be built up with cartilage grafts, and your nose could be lengthened by repositioning the tip of your nose further down on the septum with suture techniques and possibly with use of a cartilage graft to lengthen the septum. It will be more difficult to change the shape of your nostrils though some improvement is possible with surgery or fillers. Revision rhinoplasty is difficult so seek out an experienced plastic surgeon.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon