Is It Possible to Reverse Epicanthoplasty? (photo)

I had eyelid surgery done almost 3 months ago. At that time I just want to have double eyelid. However the doctor also suggested me to have epicanthoplasty and I listened to him. Now I feel so much regret to have my epicanthal fold done cause it makes my eyes sharper in which originally I already have a sharp eye. The fact that the area between my two eyes become so much closer than before makes me so stressed. Now I really want to reverse it to nearly its previous condition. Is it possible?

Please do not let a surgeon touch this area for a full year.

+2

The photos you provided are such low resolution it is very diffcult to assess the medial scars.  This epicanthal fold surgery is very high risk.  Three months is not so much time.  It is possible that things will get better with time.  The result actually does not look so bad.  I wonder if you might have a bit of BDD.  How many hours a day do you think about this issue?  If it is hours a day, you feel socially shamed because you feel people are talking about your surgical result or you are avoiding social circumstances due to these feelings, this would be consistent with body dysmorphic disorder.  Working with a psychotherapist might help you with your feelings of stress over the trauma of this surgery.

Epicanthoplasty, can it be reverse?

+2

Yes, this is possible but is a little challegning and has some minor risks.  The skin of your epicanthal fold can be cut an rearranged to allow the corner to relax and move laterally to make it less sharp.  The primary risk that you could have a visible scar, though it would be small.  

One other thing to mention is that the sharpness of your eyes may continue to relax some over time.  3 months is a long time but the wound is still young and will change more over the next 6 or more months.  Wait to do anything to it.  

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Speak to your doctor

+1

I would advise you to speak to your doctor. Since a procedure to reduce the fold involves skin removal, reversal may require surgery that requires replacing skin which can be difficult due to the size and location of the area.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Medial epicanthoplasty and reversal

+1

You should wait at least 6 months before considering doing anything and longer would be better. The revision of an epicanthoplasty is very difficult and would be fraught with more issues. You may get used to the appearance. The reversal will also lead to significant scarring in this area.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Please wait before considering revision of medial epicanthoplasty

+1

Reversibility will depend upon the type of procedure performed. I would hesitate to reoperate in that area because it appears to be technically acceptable. A epicanthal fold can be recreated but it will leave some scars.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS