Possible to Reverse Columellar Setback (Tongue-in-groove Technique)?

I had a septorhinoplasty done 2 months ago. The surgeon did a columellar setback using the tongue-in-groove technique. He said he stitched the columellar back to my septum. I didn't have a hanging columella so i don't know why he did this. My columella now looks retracted. Is it possible to have this reversed by releasing the stitch? Will my columella return to its original position if this is done? thanks!

+1

Your nose needs an exam to make any real commentary on what would be most effective.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Columella and tongue-in-groove

+1

At this point you have to let things heal. It may need to be released at a laterl point and possible require an interposition graft to extend it away from the septum.  Hard to say until examined and treated.

Columellar retraction

+1

Your retracted columella will be completely healed in by this stage and will not "spring back" by releasing a stitch.  You would need the front edge of your septum extended with a cartilage graft, so that your columella can be built out into a more normal position.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reversing tongue-in-groove maneuver

+1

At this point in your recovery releasing the tongue-in-groove sutures alone will not "reverse" its effects.  If your columella looks retracted, your surgeon may have also excised a part of your caudal septum - which would also not be reversed by removing the suture.  

That is not to say your columella can not be returned to its original appearance, which it can.  It will just take a bit more work.