Operating room time needed to do abdominoplasties?

How much longer does it take a surgeon to perform a full abdominoplasty (with muscle plication) than a mini abdominoplasty when there is not more than a pound of skin to remove? On average how long does it take to do full abdominoplasty?

Operative time for Tummy tuck

+2
The length of time for a full tummy tuck is usually about 2 hours and a mini-depending on how mini-can vary up to that time. I try to do the best surgery I can in the least amount of time for prolonged operating times increase the chances of complications like infections as well as pulmonary emboli(blood clots to lungs).

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+2
   My operative time for a tummy tuck ranges from about 1 hour to 2 hours, depending upon the size of the specimen and the amount of dissection or surface area treated.  A minitummy tuck may take 30 minutes to 1 hour.

+1
As modern anesthesia has become safer, the surgeon's 'speed' for any given procedure has

become less important.  Many plastic surgeons can perform a 'full' abdominoplasty with rectus

abdominis muscle plication in under 2 hours safely.  Even with adjunct liposuction, this is considered

well-within standards for operative times.  I hope that this is helpful.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

+1
The time it would take to perform a tummy tuck with plication of the abdominal muscle may vary from 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending on a number of factors including: Your individual anatomy, extent of the surgery, and experience of the surgeon. A mini-abdominoplasty means different things to different patients and would take less time than a full abdominoplasty, again depending on the factors listed above. You should find the most qualified individual to perform a surgical procedure, not the fastest. Your health and safety depend on it.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who gives you an exact answer without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person
.
Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

+1
A mini TT would take in the range of 45minutes while a full TT with muscle plication is under 2 hours but the time depends on the patient's size. Neither of these times is significant relative to your risks.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Time Needed to Perform an #Abdominoplasty

+1
How long a specific surgery takes is very surgeon dependent. Some surgeons are quicker than others.  I would guess, though, that the standard for a surgeon who performs a lot of tummy tucks is around 2 or 2.5 hours for a standard tummy tuck.  Mini can mean a lot of different things and can be anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours depending on what is being done to the muscle and how much liposuction is being performed.  Circumferential tummy tuck or lower body lifts take considerably longer.  There are very good surgeons who are faster than that and very bad surgeons who are faster than that.  There are progressively increased risks with longer operative times, though, so most of us move quickly to maximize efficiency and minimize risk to you, the patient.
In general, I would advise against operative times in making the decision between mini and full abdominoplasty.  Anything longer than one hour is considered "major surgery" and an extra hour of anesthesia to get a dramatically improved result has a very high reward to risk ratio.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon