Returning to Work 5 Days Post Op Breast Implants?

I am having my surgery on a Wednesday and returning to work on Monday. I am a dental hygienist and have to adjust the overhead light and am cleaning teeth and taking X-rays etc. my surgeon thinks I'll be fine. I'm getting 400cc unders moderate plus silicone gel. I am a B cup now.

Return To Work 5 Days After Breast Implants Is Early

Thank you for your question. Returning to work as a dental hygienist 5 days after sub-muscular breast augmentation with breast implants is very early in my opinion. If you were my patient I would suggest that you plan 10 days before returning to work.

The recovery following sub-muscular breast implants is much more difficult than breast implants placed beneath the breast only.

In addition your occupation requires you to use your upper body muscles and you will be contracting the chest muscles when you are using your arms to move the lights and treat patients and this may prolong your recovery and cause you increased discomfort.

Another factor which I believe is important is that at 5 days after breast implants I would prefer that you do not be exposed to the potential bacterial contamination associated with handling patient's mouths. With the rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria in the medical environment today this risk is not to be taken lightly.

In the end you want the best cosmetic result and the smoothness recovery possible. Obviously discussed this with your plastic surgeon but I'm just offering my opinion and how I do things in my practice.

Returning to work 5 days after breast implants?

Thank you for your question! The "rapid recovery" breast augmentation is a newer philosophy with many surgeons to expedite activity and expedite recovery following the breast augmentation procedure. In my practice, utilizing the fast track technique after breast augmentations, women are readily able and doing most things virtually immediately after this procedure. It is the similar techniques as described and is really gaining popularity. She is even recommended to go out for dinner that evening. Pain is minimal and you will likely be on a scheduled antiinflammatory regimen/pain control along with early exercises/range of motion techniques immediately. However, follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care and restrictions, but it is common for most women to resume many of the preoperative activities and duties within a week. I typically restrict heavy lifting and vigorous exercise for approximately 4-6 weeks Swelling and settling of the implant typically occurs over a 6-12 week period along with placement in a compression-type bra for the same time period, while your incisions commonly resolve to its final appearance in up to a year. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a great result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Returning to Work 5 Days Post Op Breast Implants

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines regarding postoperative care. Typically, light activity can begin 3 to 5 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can resume 1 to 6 months after surgery. Consult with your surgeon as he or she understands the specifics of the case and you. The surgeon may want to limit your activity to start.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Post-op recovery after breast augmentation

Every patient heals a bit differently.  It is difficult to predict how well you will feel after your surgery and how soon you can go back to your work routine.  It can take about a week or more with some patients.

Return to work

You can do the same procedure to 5 different patients and get 5 different responses as to how long it took for the pain to resolve, how painful the procedure was, how long it took to look the way they wanted.5 to 7 days is very reasonable, but use common sense...if it hurts, don't do it and try to take a few breaks during the day to rest.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Returning to work

We recommend typically 5-7 days off after BA for most desk-type jobs and 7-10 if work involves more physical strains-but we gauge each patient individually.

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Returning to Work after Breast Augmentation Surgery

Each patient differs with how long they take off of work but the average patient will return to work 5-7 days after surgery (as long as they are not lifting heavy objects, etc).  I would suggest that you follow the advice of your surgeon and also listen to your body.  You may find that working a full 8 hours is difficult and/or you may have to ask for modified duties to limit your arm movement,etc.

Returning to Work 5 Days After Surgery

Most of my patients are back to work in four to five days. This will not include patients that do heavy physical work, who may be out as long as a month if there is no "light duty" at their jobs. 

It is unlikely that you could do any damage to your surgeon's work, but you may find yourself working more slowly and having some discomfort. You might ask you employer to schedule to light the first day or so if that is possible.