Returning to Work After Breast Augmentation?

After breast augmentation I can only take four days off of work, I'm a cashier and my work doesn't require heavy lifting at all. I was wondering if I were to be okay to return to work after four days?

Returning to work after breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question! The "rapid recovery" breast augmentation is a newer philosophy with many surgeons to expedite activity and expedite recovery following the breast augmentation procedure. In my practice, utilizing the fast track technique after breast augmentations, women are readily able and doing most things virtually immediately after this procedure. It is the similar techniques as described and is really gaining popularity. She is even recommended to go out for dinner that evening. Pain is minimal and you will likely be on a scheduled antiinflammatory regimen/pain control along with early exercises/range of motion techniques immediately. However, follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care and restrictions, but it is common for most women to resume many of the preoperative activities and duties within a week. I typically restrict heavy lifting and vigorous exercise for approximately 4-6 weeks Swelling and settling of the implant typically occurs over a 6-12 week period along with placement in a compression-type bra for the same time period, while your incisions commonly resolve to its final appearance in up to a year. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a great result!

Recovery and Returning to Work

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Please consult with your board-certified surgeon after your procedure regarding when you should return to work. Best of luck.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Ask you surgeon but up to a week may be fine

You should plan to be off work for up to 5-7 days, although this can vary from person to person. Please ask your surgeon for their advice as they may have different guidelines.

Return to work after breast augmentation

Returning to work after four days is typically not a problem but, it depends on the individual.  I perform intercostal nerve blocks at the time of surgery.  This involves injecting a long acting local anesthetic along the ribs while you are asleep, anesthetizing the nerves coming off the ribs to the breast.  This minimizes your discomfort and anesthetic and post operatively enables you to recover requiring less pain medicine.  This I feel helps you get back to work more rapidly.  Also warm showers, typically twice a day help to minimize your needs for muscle relaxants if your implants are placed sub pectoral.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Returning To Work After Breast Augmentation.

CAN I RETURN TO WORK 2 DAYS AFTER A BREAST AUGMENTATION/LIFT, I WORK AS A CASHIER?

Generally speaking it is advisable to take at least 7-10 days off after breast augmentation/lift. If your position does not require you to lift, stretch or reach overhead, depending on your surgeon, you may be able to return after 5 days. If you are still taking prescription pain medications it would be advisable to return to work after you stop taking them.

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Returning to Work after Breast Augmentation Surgery?

You will be best off checking with your plastic surgeon about returning to work and other activities.  In my practice, most patients prefer to take 5 to 7 days off before returning to a “desk job” that does not involve lifting. Remember, that you may be using medications at the four-day postop mark and may not be in the best  state of mind to return to your occupation as a cashier.