Can You Return to Breastfeeding After Augmentation?

If I stopped breastfeeding for 3 months and had a breast augmentation would it be possible to get my milk back once healed (with frequent pumping, attempting to BF, certain herbs and vitamins that help)? I am not going to be selfish and make my nearly 2 year old son stop bfing because I want implants but I know he will most likely be bfing a few more years since I'm doing baby led weaning and just wondered if it was possible.

Wait until you are done breast feeding

+1

Hello. I would strongly recommend that you wait until you are done breast feeding before getting your augmentation. The reason for this is that breast feeding can cause a change in the appearance of the breasts which could lead to changes in the procedure, or worse you may require a second procedure to correct these changes later on.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Breast Feeding Should be Complete and then Breast Implants

+1

Breast feeding should be complete and all milk should have dissipated before breast augmentation surgery is contemplated or performed.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Can You Return to Breastfeeding After Augmentation

+1

It might be possible (contact the La Leche League for advice), but I think you will have a better outcome in terms of chosen size and possible issues of needing a lift if you were to wait until you are done nursing your child. 

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Breast implants best after breastfeeding is completed.

+1

Hi.

I understand what you are saying.  But it really is best to finish breast feeding and let the breasts settle down before you get implants.  The anatomy of your breasts may change, and you may need a slightly different procedure.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast feeding and augmentation

+1

I would finish breast feeding before undergoing an augmentation.  You can undergo an augmentation once the breasts have settled down and they are not still producing milk.

Breastfeeding

+1

Augmentation has no effect on the ability to breastfeed or produced breast  milk.   However, after stopping for three months the ability to start back may be difficult.  If you can feel free to go for it.

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding after breast augmentation

+1

Studies have shown that breast augmentation has no impact on your ability to breastfeed postoperatively.  Since you can breast feed now, I would expect that you could do so in the future as well.  My recommendation would be to wait until after breastfeeding has been completed so that you do not interrupt your desires to breastfeed your child.  In addition, certainly your breasts are engorged with milk and evaluation of your breasts when they are not lactating would allow your plastic surgeon to give you the most accurate examination of your breasts preoperatively (skin laxity, breast width, measurements, etc.) and allow for the best results postoperatively.   

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Augmentation and Breast Feeding?

+1

I think that you will be better off, for multiple reasons, completing the breast-feeding process before proceeding with breast augmentation surgery. I would not recommend, in other words,  stopping the breast-feeding process, having breast surgery, and hoping to restart the breast-feeding process again.