Retinal Detachment and Laser Eye Surgery?

i recently had a detached retina that was treated successfully. What are the risks of having laser eye suregery after a retinal detachment. Does PRK or Lasik offer any advantages/disadvantages? I am a healthy 48 year old male.

Laser Eye Surgery after Retinal Detachment

+1

Typically it is safe to have laser vision correction after a retinal detachment, other than any limitations to your vision due to the retinal detachment. 

LASIK involves putting pressure on the eye during the formation of the flap, and so most ophthalmologists prefer PRK for patients who have had a retinal detachment.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

LASIK vs Lasek after retinal surgery

+1

My uncle is a prominent retina surgeon at Harvard where I did my residency. He agreed w my answer

it's not safe for you to get any procedure that is cutting as that requires the surgeon to increase the pressure in your eye so much to make that cut that you might get a retinal detachment. So no LASIK or Bladeless LASIK or IntraLase or femptosecond

it would be safe to do a surface ablation as there's no cutting so as a surgeon I wouldn't have to increase your eyec

Emil Chynn, MD
New York Ophthalmologist