Will Retin-A Get Rid of my Fine Lines?

Yes, I will be using Retin a for my fine lines. I have heard many different things. First, fine lines will dissapear, fine lines will be improved. I am looking to entirely eliminate fine lines. Will Retin A help me do this? I am 31.

How to decrease fine lines

+2

Over long term, Retin A certainly improves photodamage, including fine lines, but it does not eliminate them completely. Retin A removes dead skin layers and stimulates your skin's collagen production.  Overall, retinoids are the best anti-aging topicals we have.

Your skin continues to accumulate sun damage, which gives rise to fine lines and wrinkles.  Even with the best photoprotection and sun avoidance, we do get some UV light exposure which continues to damage the skin.

With aging, the skin loses volume and fullness due to a decrease in collagen, fat and bony structures in the face.  That also leads to the development of lines and wrinkles.

There are other treatments that can help improve wrinkles, like photofacials, laser peels and fractional laser resurfacing.  Dermal fillers can also help improve lines by adding volume.

Usually there is a combination of treatments and sun avoidance/protection that will make fine lines significantly less noticeable.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fine lines in the face

+2

It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE TO RID THE FACE OF FINE LINES.  Even using the strongest laser, they will come back in time with sun exposure and smiling and squinting.  Give up on this goal as it will never happen and certainly not with RetinA alone.  "Better" is all you can honestly get!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Skin Care

+1

I would not guarantee they will disapear but if you have a good skin care regimen and protect yourself from the sun you should see an improvement

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Retin-A will not completely eliminate fine facial lines!

+1

Any more than this answer will "eliminate any doubt" that I am correct. Retin-A increases the metabolic activity in the upper layers of the skin, increasing exfoliation of the topmost dead layers, increasing thickness and vascularity of the dermis that occurs in response to the stimulation of the skin cells' turnover rate by the pharmaceutical, and decreasing the visibility of fine lines. But eliminate them completely? No way! Even the best  before and after photographs show some residual lines, minimally-visible changes, and sometimes even irritation and redness.

The best ablative laser resurfacing procedures available will also NOT completely eliminate fine lines or wrinkles. But, in properly-selected patients, the improvements are dramatic and quite visible.

If you smile, you will have lines. If you purse your lips to kiss, speak, or blow out birthday candles, you will have lines. Even a face full of Botox could be unnaturally deanimated, but will still ahve some residual contour irregularities, lines, or wrinkles! You don't have to look like the "Naples maven" or the "Sun City raisin" after a lifetime of too-much sun, but I suspect you really don't want to look like a porcelain doll either, and no amount of Retin-A OR laser treatments, OR chemical peels will "eliminate" all of your lines. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Retin-A can improve fine lines in the face

+1

Retin-A can improve fine lines in the face. It does this by compacting the skin. It wil lnot improve dynamic (smile) lines. Consider microdrmabrasion or Clarisonics Pro, a "home microdermabrasion" system available at designated physician offices.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist