Will Retin-A Get Rid of my Fine Lines?

Yes, I will be using Retin a for my fine lines. I have heard many different things. First, fine lines will dissapear, fine lines will be improved. I am looking to entirely eliminate fine lines. Will Retin A help me do this? I am 31.

How to decrease fine lines

Over long term, Retin A certainly improves photodamage, including fine lines, but it does not eliminate them completely. Retin A removes dead skin layers and stimulates your skin's collagen production.  Overall, retinoids are the best anti-aging topicals we have.

Your skin continues to accumulate sun damage, which gives rise to fine lines and wrinkles.  Even with the best photoprotection and sun avoidance, we do get some UV light exposure which continues to damage the skin.

With aging, the skin loses volume and fullness due to a decrease in collagen, fat and bony structures in the face.  That also leads to the development of lines and wrinkles.

There are other treatments that can help improve wrinkles, like photofacials, laser peels and fractional laser resurfacing.  Dermal fillers can also help improve lines by adding volume.

Usually there is a combination of treatments and sun avoidance/protection that will make fine lines significantly less noticeable.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon