Can Retin-A Fade Surgical Scars That Are over 6 Months Old?

I have surgical scars near my eyes. I went through two scar revision surgeries which failed to improve them because the scars spread again after both revisions. Will Retin A help to fade them or must I resort to laser treatment?

Retin-A does not reduce scars

+2

Laser or IPL treatments can reduce the redness of scars, fractional lasers can smoothen cars. Retin-A is of no use, unfortunately.

Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Retin-A may work against scar fading

+2

Retin-A nourishes the skin to stimulate the production of collagen. This is how it thickens the skin, making it more resistant to folding and wrinkling. Retin-A should not be used on scars as the enhanced collagen may make the scars thicker, lumpy, or inflamed. There are many other products that may be much more effective. Ask you surgeon about the silicone gels and sheet products, use of antioxidant topicals, or peptide gels for scar management.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM for discolored and dark scars

+1

Retin A works well to smoothe some scars.  Dark and discolored scars will do well with Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM along with

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scars

+1

Retin A has no effect on the scar.

The question is why are the scars spreding. Could it be that the orientation of the scar is not ideal?

Other alternatives to improve on the scars dpend on your skin color. Laser can be an option or simple dermaberasion.

Retin A will NOT improve scar width or prominence

+1

I am sorry to tell you but Retin A will not noticeably improve the appearance of bad scarring. While it may improve skin thickness and pigmentation, it cannot erase scar tissue and especially tissue that failed 2 scar revisions.

Need to examine you

+1

Your problem is unusual. I would need to examine you to figure out your best course of action for treating a surgical scar over six months old.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon