Can You Use Retin-A in Combination with a Daytime AHA/glycolic Acid Moisturiser?

Is this overkill? I have prescribed this regime by a dermatologist, but am concerned about reaching Hayflick's limit. Should I be concerned? I have been using Retin A every night for about a year.

Retin-A in combination with other products

+2

Retin-A is frequently combined with other products to get the best outcome.  However, many products can cause the skin to be come dry and irritated so I caution patients about this.  Alpha and beta hydroxy acids such as salicylic acid or glycolic acid can cause irritation.  Be sure to moisturize and if you are irritated, hold off a day or two before restarting!

Retin-A with AHA

+2

Absolutely!  The regular use of Retin-A at night and AHA/glycolic during the day is perfect for skin rejuvenation.   I would also recommend topical vitamin C and sunscreen to your regimen.

Retin A

+2

The combination of Retin A and Glycolic Acid is normal. Both will not change the hayflick limit. Their effect is superficial and both their action is improve the collagen and elastin layers of the dermis.

Retin-A combined with AHA

+1

Now that your skin is accustomed to the Retin-A at night, start using the AHA every other morning to see how your skin tolerates it.  If you are not having dryness or irritation, you can then start using the AHA every morning.  You should mix it with an antioxidant such as a vitamin C powder and use a sunscreen on top of it.

Toronto Dermatologist