Will Retin-A Help Raised Scar in a Wound?

I had a eyebrow laceration 2 weeks ago which was minimally repaired in the ER. It now has a raised, thickened area for which the dermatologist I saw recommended Retin-A use once at night. Is this helpful, and what else would you recommend?

Retin-A not for fresh scars

+3

The raised area that you're now experiencing is actually perfectly normal for a scar that's 2 weeks old. Don't panic yet. During the normal process of scarring, the area will remain raised and firm for 6-8 weeks, then begin to settle down and flatten out.

Retin-A does not typically help for freshly forming scars. Rather, you can begin to wear silicone sheeting at this time for the next 2 months. In another 2 weeks (once you are 4 weeks out from the repair), you can also begin to massage the area 5-6 times per day for 30 or 45 seconds. This will also help the scar, but don't start doing it quite yet. Massage and silicone are the best early treatments. See a dermatologist at 2-3 months to be evaluated for other possible treatments, such as dermabrasion, steroid injection, or laser revision.

Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Retin-A has no effect on the scar

+2

NO. Retin A has no effect on the scar.

You are only two weeks after the cut was repaired.

During the healing process the scar initially is red raised prominent, that is part of the healing process. This will gradually improve as the scar goes through the maturation process.

Silicone Gel Sheeting will help in the resolution of the scar. Silicone creams DO NOT HELP.