Is Retin-A Gel 0.01% the Same As Retin-A Cream 0.01%?

I am using Benzaclin gel in the morning as directed by my dermatologyst,and Retin-A cream 0.01% at night,but I insted got the gel. I was wondering if it is the same?

Difference between Retin A cream and gel

+1

The gel vehicle is more drying and more irritating than the cream.  Gels are used more often on oily skin.

If your doctor gave you a prescription for a cream and you got the gel, take it back to the pharmacy for the correct medication. They should be able to check the prescription and give you the medication your doctor ordered.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

The active ingredient is the same

+1

Tretinoin is the active ingredient. The difference is the vehicle. The cream will be for normal skin and the gel would be for oily skin. Check with your dermatologist to see which you need.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist