Can I Use Retin-A Every Night?

Can I Use Retin-A Every Night?

Retina- A is my nightly secret

+3

I have been using Retin-A every night for the past 14 years and I think has done a wonderful job keeping my skin look healthy and fresh. Just be cautious in the sun and avoid using if your skin is broken or irritated.

Retin-A should be used at night

+2

Retin-A and other retinoids should be applied daily. Night time application is favored, since retin-a can get deactivated by sunlight. If you get irritation from the cream, add a moisturizer every night as well.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Retin-A works extremely well used regularly

+2

Retin-A, and its related topical medications called retinoids, are best used on a regular basis.  Some, to enhance tolerability, may use it every other day, but, in general, it is for once daily use to achieve optimal results.  It is not, however, effective as a spot treatment, so regualr use is necessary.  Some retinoids are photostable, meaning they can be used with good efficacy during the daytime, if you need some flexibility in using the medication.  You should check with your dermatologist to see which preparation you currently have.

Dornechia George Carter, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Retin A is Amazing and Can Be Used Daily

+2

Absolutely!!  Retin A is the best skin product on the market!  Not only does it improve the overall appearance of the skin by increasing skin cell turn over, it also stimulates new collagen.  Retin A is the only topical product proven to improve wrinkles.  When first beginning to use Retin A, if you experience flaking and irritation, take a break for a couple of days, but don’t stop completely without consulting your dermatologist.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

You can use Retin-A every night on your face

+2

I have been using Retin-A on my face for the past five years. It is the ONLY medication which has been proven to improve skin health.

You must "test" your skin though.  Start with the lowest concentration and apply once a week.  If tolerated well, apply twice a week and so on.  After you have tried this concentration every night with no issues, consider going up on the concentration and do the same protocol.  Eventually you will reach a concentration which will cause some peeling of skin without making it red and irritated.  Apply a small amount to each area and wash your face with a mild soap before.  If you have oily skin, use the gel.  If your skin is dry, use the cream.

Good Luck!

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Every night for Retin A?

+2

I generally recommend that Retin A is applied nightly for best results, at least for the first two or three months.  If the side effects become intolerable, then I suggest to my paitents that they back off for a night or two.  After a few months, I think folks can get by with applications two to three times weekly.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Using Retin A nightly is the best mehod!

+1

Using retin A nightly is a better method to acclimate to the product.  The skin has more difficulty adapting to Retin A when it is used 2-3 times a week.  For those patients with sensitive skin, Renova and Atralin are less drying Retin A products available to them.

Kirk A. Churukian, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Daily use of Retin - A

+1

Every ones skin can and will react differently to Retin-A.   Retin-A tends to be more drying than Renova.  With delicate skin like the under eye area it is best to go slow with either product.   Start every other day and gradually build up your tolerance. If you are getting redness or irritated skin then it is best to back off of daily use.