Retin-A (.1%) and Aczone Gel at Night?

Went to my derm today for my acne..currently taking soladyn and retin a at night. But she uped my strength to .1% and prescribed Acezone topical gel along with continuing the soladyn. But she suggested the Retin A during the day and the Aczone gel at night..my question is can i reverse this as ive been using the retin at night anyways before the Aczone gel. Do you think this may be more benefical? And is the use of a daily moisturizer ok to use over the aczone? suggestions much appreciated!

Apply Retin-A at NIGHT...

+2

Yes, it is a good idea to continue using the Retin-A at night.  To help prevent any over dryness, I would suggest using a non non-comedogenic moisturizer first then apply your Retin-A.  This will not lessen the effects of the Retin-A but only help maintain good compliance.  Also, in the morning, be sure to use the Aczone first on a freshly washed face then you may apply a moisturizer.  Do not forget the importance of a daily sunscreen!!!

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens       

Moisturizers with acne regimen

+2

As many acne regimens can cause dry skin, moisturizers may need to be used to mitigate the redness and scaling. It is very important to choose a non-comedogenic moisturizer which does not clog pores and cause acne to worsen.  Neutrogena has an excellent line of moisturizers which are rather non-comedogenic.

Anthony Perri, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Retin A and Aczone for acne treatments

+1

Retin A and Aczone can be combined to treat acne, but Retin A should only be used at night, as tretinoin (the active ingredient of Retin A) undergoes some degradation when exposed to light.  That decreases the effectiveness of the medication.

It is OK to use a moisturizer in the morning with Aczone, but make sure the moisturizer is oil-free and non-comedogenic.  Otherwise, the moisturizer will contribute to acne breakouts and defeat the purpose of the treatment.

Retin A does make the skin more sun sensitive, so use a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily.  There are oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizers with sunscreens in them SPF 50 or higher.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Retin-a and aczone gel at night

+1

If you are going to use both retin-a and aczone gel it would seem acceptable to me to use the retin-a at night and the aczone gel in the morning.  You might want to check with your dermatologist before making the switch.  Also, bear in mind that both retin-a and aczone can increase the sensitivity of your skin to sunlight, particularly when either medication is applied in the morning.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist