How Effective is Retin-A Alone?

I am an African American, 45 years old, and have excessively oily and sensitive facial skin. I have researched Accutane, Retin-A and even Diane 35. I'm afraid of oral meds. How effective is Retin-A alone for acne treatment?

Newer formulation of prescription strength tretinoin available to balance efficacy and tolerability

+2

There is not a molecule available in the market that has a better clinical track record than prescription strength tretinoin for rejuvenation and acne treatment. However, you should be under the care of an experienced board-certified dermatologist who can judiciously select a formulation that is both efficacious and gentle for someone with combination skin. There are newer and more gentle formulations of prescription strength topical retinoid that can minimize irritation. The key is to use very sparingly, no sooner than 30 minutes after face wash, start every 2nd or 3rd night, and utilize noncomedogenic moisturizer as needed.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon