Retin-A at 22?

Hi! I'm 22 years old, and a non smoker, but I have deep dark circles under my eyes as well as fine lines and deepening wrinkles. They worry me a lot. Should I start the use of retin A for them? Also, my mum, who is 50 and has absolutely no skin care regimen, has severe sun damage [her skin has gone ashy and a lot of age spots as well as wrinkles and dark bags under the eyes] spends a lot of time in the sun. Is retin-a a good option for her? she has sensitive skin. Also, what abt the neck?

Dark Circles Under the Eyes

+1

Dark circles under the eyes are extremely hard to treat.  Typically, multiple factors contribute to this appearance.  The skin is very thin in this location and allows the underlying vasculature to be more apparent causing a dark appearance.  The concavity of the ocular orbit allows shadows to be displayed in this location.  Also, allergies can cause edema in this area that can convey a darker appearance.  Finally, true hyperpigmentation of the skin can also be present on the lower lids.  Thus, it is important to be evaluated by a board certified dermatologist so a diagnosis can be rendered in regards to the dark circles and an appropriate treatment regimen can be prescribed.

Houston Dermatologist

Retin-A is not for dark circles

+1

Unfortuantely dark circles are not responsive to retin-A.  Dark circles are very difficult to treat and I would recommend a consult with an oculoplastic surgeon.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Retin A

+1

Retin A is a great option, especially when combined with Hydroquinone, a bleaching cream, which works together with the Retin A.  There is not another skin cream combination more powerful in my opinion.  It is critical that sunscreen be used when using both these products as they make your skin unable to protect itself from the sun.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Alabama Facial Plastic Surgeon