Do I Need Retainers After Invisalign Even Though I'm 17?

I'm getting my first set of aligners in a few weeks and my treatment is going to take 9 month - 18 trays on upper and 15 on lower. So I was wondering wether or not I'd need retainers "forever" even though I'm only 17?

Absolutely!! Retainers are for life...

+3

In our practice, we generally tell our patients to wear their retainers for one year full time, then to bed lifetime. Your teeth are in the most stable position the day you enter the office, before you start treatment, as that is what mother nature has intended. In addition, as we age, our soft tissue balance in our mouth changes, and this difference in pressure from the lips and tongue will create gradual crowding in most individuals as they age, regardless of the method of treatment (ie Invisalign versus braces).

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Retainers After Invisalign?

+3

When my patients ask me how long they have to wear retainers I tell them, "Only as long as you want straight teeth." 

Good luck!

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

Retainers are needed at the end of orthodontic treatment, no matter how old you are

+2

A rule of thumb is to wear retainers after orthodontic treatment is complete.  This is even more important the younger a person is, and they should be worn as long as the person wants their teeth to remain straight.  Without retainers the teeth will tend to shift and become crooked again.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Retainers after Invisalign

+2

The one thing I always tell any patients before undergoing orthodontic treatment is they need to be willing to wear a retainer after the treatment, otherwise you will most likely experience some relapse.

Daniel Beninato, DDS
Omaha Cosmetic Dentist

By all means!

+2

Our teeth are moving throughout life. Some more than others. Wisdom teeth do not cause crowding. I wear my retainers every night. Night time is usually as effective as wearing them all the time. Your teeth will move whether or not you have had Invisalign or Braces.

Remember, 30% of those wearing Invisalign had braces before.

Gilbert H. Snow, DDS
Encino Orthodontist

Nightime retainers are like an insurance policy for straight teeth!

+2

Yes, you need to wear your retainers, but going to nights should happen soon.  Let me explain.  When teeth are moved, they always want to go back to where they were.  This is because there are many elastic fibers that connect the teeth together and act like little rubber bands.  Once the teeth are moved,(especially rotated)  the rubber bands try to pull the teeth back to the old positions.  However, if the result is great the bite will tend to hold the teeth and if the retainers are worn properly, the relapse will be minimized. The straight teeth can then last a lifetime.  Wear your retainers!

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

Retainers are always needed after invisalign

+2

Retainers are a must after any ortho treatment. Teeth always want to move back to their original position.

Vivera retainers are very easyto wear at night

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Retainers

+1

All patients need retainers. Even people with straigh teeth, can develop biting habits that can squash the dental arch leading to overcrowding.

80% of my consults have all had fixed ortho and then the teeth shifted over time.

I did not wear my last aligner for over 4 months and when I put it in I was nearly in tears. The teeth had shifetd slightly so I routinley wear my retainer 3-4 times per week overnight.

Otherwise you will be paying again.

Dr R Kumar BDSLDSRCS

Raj Kumar, BDS, LDSRCS
London Cosmetic Dentist

Retairnes with Invisalign

+1

Treatment with Invisalign is quick and easy. With Invisalign, you do not wear metal braces. Instead, your teeth are straightened by wearing a series of clear plastic aligners. The aligners are so inconspicuous that most will
not be able to tell you are wearing them. You will wear each set of clear aligners for about two weeks at a time. The aligners are worn all the time, except when you are eating, brushing and flossing. Because the aligners
are removable, you can eat all of your favorite foods without them getting them stuck all around your teeth! Once your treatment is finished you must wear your retainers every night for the rest of your life, this will keep your beautiful and straight smile to last a lifetime!

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Retainers

+1

You definitely must wear retainers after any orthodontic treatment.

I f you don"t do that, it will affect your entire treatment that you went through. Teeth have the tendency to go back to the original position.

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist