When Can I Resume Exercise After Lipo Laser?

I just had Laser Lipo 5 days ago and notice my stomach where i had it is much larger than even before. I realize this is most likely due to swelling. When can I start excercising to reduce some of the swelling and should I be doing some light excercise such as walking now?

Exercise after lipo

+2

I have my patients walk the night of surgery, at least to the bathroom, to get water and around the house. The day after surgery I have them walking at least half an hour a day.  Compression of the areas treated, adjusted as needed as well as massage for six weeks.  The abdomen should be kept straight as possible to avoid pooling of swelling and distortion of the final contour.  Remember, the liposuction creates a series of crisscrossing tunnels in the fat.  Those empty tunnels collapsing over the healing period is what gives the final inch loss and contour. Areas not liposuctioned can be exercised, such as arms and chest while waiting for the abdomen to heal. You have put the money and the effort in, now do everything you can during healing to optimize your results. Good luck and enjoy your investment in yourself!

When to exercise after Laser Liposuction

+2

After laser liposuction or any type of liposuction there is always swelling. Vigorous exercises after liposuction will only worsen the swelling. Swelling is normal but it can make the area feel numb or strange. It can also keep the skin stretched and delay the final result.  I have patients wear compression garments with foam for the first week after liposuction. The compression garments control the swelling, allowing the skin to shrink . The patients may wear garments as needed to feel comfortable. They may exercise, such as walking, whenever they feel up to it. Vigorous exercise usually is not done for several weeks. Whenever exercising I recommend that the garment be worn.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Usually 3 weeks after surgery

+1
I generally advise that patients wait at least 3 weeks before they start exercising again. Please make sure to start off slowly.  You can walk very leisurely around right now to keep your circulation going, as this helps with the swelling. Remember to wear your compression garment, as this helps as well.

However, you should follow your surgeon's instructions as they may have different guidelines.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Exercise Recommendations following Liposuction

+1

Exercise Recommendations after liposuction and Information about Liposuction Recovery
Here is the information I give my patients regarding the recovery process after liposuction including Laser Lipo,Smart Lipo and other lipo techniques.
As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first few days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time.  Much of the swelling and bruising will be improved within two weeks; however, some will persist for six to eight weeks.  It is often difficult to see permanent changes in the body shape before this time.
Most patients are instructed to wear an elastic garment from four to six weeks to help with skin shrinkage. Your plastic surgeon will tell you how long you should wear your elastic garment. For patients with poor skin elasticity Endermologie treatments may be recommended.
Normal activity may be resumed at 2 weeks post operation to tolerance and that would include elliptical and light cardio.  In general, patients may return to office work 3-5 days after the operation, and 14 days for more active employment.  After the operation, exercises are recommended, such as walking immediately and progressive activities beginning on the 14th day, in order to minimize the adhesions between the skin and the deeper tissues. Walking, swimming, or a stationary bicycle can usually begin in a few days after surgery. Specific time periods for resumption of daily activities, work, and exercise with be further discussed by your surgeon post operation.
Early results are seen 10-14 days after surgery, but improvement continues for 4-6 months.  Persistent swelling and irregularities may be present for several months.  If antibiotics are prescribed, they should be taken as directed

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Resuming exercise after laser lipo

+1

Resuming exercise too soon after liposuciton can increase swelling (edma) and possibly even cause small areas of bleeding that produce firm hard bumpy areas. To minimize this exercise should be avoided for 3 weeks

Liposuction and exercise

+1

Every doctor recommends different post-op instructions after liposuction. You are probably seeing swelling now, but I usually have patients resume acitivities within 1-2 weeks.

Exercise after laser liposuction

+1

Exercise is often approved two weeks or more after surgery.Of course it depends on your preoperative circumstances, the amount of surgery and your surgeon's concerns. Your surgeon should tell you the answer to this question but most approve two weeks to a month after surgery, or more, before vigorous exercise is ok.

Ronald Shelton, MD