Will Results Be the Same with Twilight Sedation for a Tt & Lipo As General Anesthesia?

Tummy tuck with liposuction and the choice of anesthesia.

+1

The goal of any cosmetic surgery should include patient safety and comfort. Having a full tummy tuck with liposuction performed under twilight anesthesia is stretching the boundaries with regards to safety. The operation itself is no different, but the patient's comfort level is. Be sure that you are seeing a Board Certified PLASTIC Surgeon (not "Cosmetic" surgeon) to ensure that his/her training is up to snuff!

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Twilight vs general

+1

Whenever I roll a patient over to their stomach I like general anesthesia.I think it is safer for the patient.also they can be completely relaxed for muscle tightening.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia for Tummy Tuck

+1
  1. Generally, in my practice, a more complete operation is done under general anesthesia for abdominoplasty and liposuction.  The areas to be treated are difficult under twilight sedition.  Generally the patient has better relaxation and it is easier to perform the operation with greater magnitude using general anesthesia. 

Michael C. Fasching, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Results of surgery with different anesthesia

+1

The results should be the same from surgery as long as the anesthesia given kept you comfortable.  Good luck. 

Anasthesia

+1

I agree with the previous comments. General anesthesia is safer and you will get better result because your abdominal muscles can be relaxes with muscle relaxant that can not be used under IV sedation. Be sure to use board certified plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist and do it in accredited facility.

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Twilight Sedation vs General Anesthesia

+1

Twilight sedation has its place for certain limited procedures but a tummy tuck is not one of them!!! General anesthesia is a certified setting by qualified personnel is safe and effective. Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck surgery with twilight anesthesia

+1

The answer to your question depends on who is doing your surgery and who is doing your anesthesia. I have talked with many plastic surgeons who only use general anesthesia (GA) for abdominoplasty surgery. They feel that the muscle relaxation that you can achieve with GA and that an airway controlled with an endotracheal tube or LMA is needed for safe and optimal results. I have been doing full abdominoplasty surgery with "twilight" sedation for 10 years now. I believe the procedure to actually be safer than with general anesthesia. I have the capacity to deliver GA in my operating room, but specifically choose to use IV sedation instead. I will tell you that you need to have an anesthesia provider that is specifically skilled in delivering this type of anesthesia safely and effectively. If this is done, the recovery is significantly faster, post-operative nausea is almost entirely eliminated, DVT risks are significantly reduced, there is no risk of a sore throat from a tube, and the overal experience is much more pleasant. From a surgical technique standpoint, you need to have a surgeon that can complete the rectus plication by timing the sutures with respiration motion. After the delivery of tumescent fluid, the judicious use of local anesthetic along the abdominal wall fascia makes the surgery absolutely pain free and safe. The results will be determined by your pre-operative condition, body shape, and your surgeon's skill level and technique.

Hope this helps  - Dr. Stoeckel

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia for Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

Yes, tummy tuck surgery can theoretically be performed under twilight sedation but I do not recommend it.

I perform my surgeries in an out patient surgery center, and under general anesthesia only.  I use Board Certified Anesthesiologists  who monitor my patients from start to end so as to provide the safest environment for my patients.  Abdominoplasty is an extensive procedure and I would recommend general anesthesia so that you are as comfortable as possible during the procedure.

I would suggest that you be very careful with your surgeon  selection;  most well trained experienced plastic surgeons would not do this procedure under local anesthesia.