No Results with Juvederm, Does it Take a Few Days to Set In?

I had 1 syringe of Juvederm done to my smile lines yesterday. I am a 34 yo with very subtle smile lines. When I came home I found out that the injections were done right into a line on one side (where I developed a hard pea sized lump) and quarter of an inch OFF(!)the smile line on the other side (where there is no improvement at all). Overall there isn't any improvement to my lines. My smile looks uneven. Is it normal? Will the filler "set" within the next few days?

Fillers result in immediate results...but with juvederm there may be further filling effect

+1

as the material takes on water over time...if the juvederm was injected into creases that only appeared when you smile, then there's often relatively little change in your skin while at rest...but the smile should be improved...if it's not, time to see your doctor...of course if there's a lump, then it typically means a blob of too much filler at one site...this should be massaged out and diffused into the surrounding tissue...for the most part, the filler is supposed to be injected into the site where the problem exists...but in any event if the lines are subtle then one syringe should be enough

The Juvederm results you describe are not typical for wrinkles

+1

It often will take more than one syringe of Juvederm to get complete resolution of the lines and folds by the mouth. On average, 2 syringes are needed. The lump you describe could be swelling, but could be over injection in one spot and needs correction. The fact that you think the Juvederm was not injected into the right place is worrisome. I would go back and see the doctor so he/she can correct any problems. If the doctor can't or won't, then find a different doctor with more experience.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Not normally, but give it a few days and discuss with your doctor

+1

Not normally, but give it a few days and make sure to discuss your conerns with your doctor.  It could be poor technique depending on the expertise level of your doctor.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

No Results with Juvederm

+1

Juvederm is Hyaluronic Acid which absorbs water upon i njection, thus some swelling is to be expected. The swelling will last a day or two.

Lumps from Juvederm are due to  uneven pressure resulting in too much being injected in one spot, or too superficial injection or both.

If it is too superficial, there may be a bluish tinge (Tyndall effect).  In this case, using an enzyme, Hyaluronidase, or manually expressing it after a small nick with a # 11 blade may be very effective. If it is deep, Hyaluronidase with or without a little vibration can be very helpful.

The asymmetry is a little worrisome, but it may just be from uneven swelling. If it persists, discuss it with the Doctor who treated you.

Allways make sure that you are being treated by an experienced Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Juvederm

+1

I think the results of Juvederm should be immediate. People don't always see it because of the post injection redness and needle marks

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

No Results with Juvederm

+1

Hopefully things will improve over the next few days but it does not seem to be likely. Injecting fillers is as much an art as it is a science. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector. The effectiveness of your treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatment. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm one day later

+1

The day after injection you might have slight swelling. You should not feel any hard lumps and the results of the filler should be visible. One syringe of Juvederm does not go a long way and that might be the problem. A little in every area and not enough anywhere. This problem sometimes occurs when a patient wants everything fixed on a "budget" and ends up unhappy with it all. Go back to your doctor and see what they think. Discuss your concerns and maybe you will both end up being happy that you discussed this openly.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Juvederm

+1

Juvederm like any other filler has to be injected correctly, and enough volume needs to be used to give a nice result. In most cases, one syringe split over several areas is usually not enough.  As for bumps, this is usually due to poor technique by  placing it too superficially or too much in one area..

Results of Juvederm to smile lines will results get better?

+1

Sadly, no.  The results of fillers like Juvederm restylane, Perlane and Radiesse are immediate.  You get what you see minus a small amount of swelling but never will you get more of a correction the next day or later. 

Swelling After Hyaluronic Acid Filler Injections

+1

The results of Juvéderm should be immediate. Did you look at your results in the doctor’s office immediately after you were treated? Or for the first time when you got home?

The swelling may not always be uniform so it can alter, mask, exaggerate, or distort the results of filler injections for up to several days following treatment. The use of cool compresses, for 24-48hours following treatment, may help to reduce swelling and bruising. The filler will not “set in” as you say, but the results may become more even as the swelling resolves.

You describe your smile lines as “subtle.” Some lines that appear more as a ‘crease’ in the skin can be more resistant to immediate improvement. I think of these types of lines more like a crease in a piece of paper – once the crease is there it is difficult to get rid of. Filling at a superficial level can provide improvement, but often not to the same extent as the improvement that might be seen after the deeper filling of folds or grooves. I think that creases respond better with repeated filling over a period of time.

If you are not happy after 1-2 weeks, then you should contact your physician. Additional injections can be performed if needed. Hyaluronidase can be used if the product has been injected unevenly or in the incorrect spot; but I have found the need for hyaluronidase very rare.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon