Which Gives Better Results in Skin Appearance and Texture, IPL or LHE Photofacial?

Which gives better results in skin appearance and texture, the IPL or LHE photofacial? I know that some say LHE is the newer technology and it gives better results for hair removal but I'm more concerned with the laser effects on the overall appearance of acne, scars, fine lines/wrinkles, broken capillaries, etc.

IPL vs LHE

+2

IPL targets colors in the skin, like reds and browns, which is why it's effective to treat hyperpigmentation, freckles, flushing from rosacea, small capillaries, and other brown/red spots. Texture is not greatly improved with either IPL or LHE, as no skin is removed during either of these. If you want significant textural changes, you will need to do eMatrix or Fraxel, something semi-ablative. LHE photofacials are minimally effective at best. I have seen little to no results from these as they are extremely superficial skin treatments.

IPL will remove some reds and browns from the skin. Skin texture is improved with ablative and non ablative technolgies.

+2

If you want to get rid of redness, freckles and age spots, IPL is a good Choice.  If you want to improve texture, I would recommend some type of resurfacing with ablative or non ablative technologies like the eMatrix, Fraxel Restore or Fraxel Repair Lasers or even a TCA Peel.  The LHE photofacial will not change the texture very much and is not as effective at getting rids or reds and browns in the skin as other technologies. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Chose IPL over LHE

+1

Intense pulsed light is used for spider veins, brown spots and stimulation of collagen.  For significant textural changes and scars, a fractional laser will give better results than IPL.  Both devices complement each other.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist