Results of implant removal (Photo)

I have saline implants for 14 years now and have one that is deflated. In Dec when it was checked by PS said it was only partial. Now I think it's worse, is there a way to tell if it is completely deflated? I'm trying to decide if I want to remove them all together. I have loved them, always been happy but at 43 yrs old not sure it's priority any more and the expense. I was a 34C small, now a 36DD which there are pros and cons with DDs. Just concerned I might have an issue with confidence

Ruptured saline implant

+1
If you are on the fence over having the implants removed versus replaced, consider asking your surgeon to intentionally rupture the right implant. This is simple to do in the in the office requiring a single needle stick. This will allow you to see how you look and feel without implants as they will both be deflated leaving you with only your native, natural breasts. You can take as long as long as you like to decide as there is no danger to living with deflated saline implants.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Saline implant troubles

+1
Thank you for your picture. I recommend that you deflate both of them in the office. One you'll know they're completely deflated. Number two you will get to see what their breast look like with out the implants. At that time you can determine if you feel comfortable and that particular size versus an augmented size. Consult with several board certified plastic surgeons 

Good Luck.

Earl Stephenson Jr,MD,DDS,FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Ruptured saline breast implant

+1
If your breasts have been reasonably symmetrical over the past 14 years, it appears that your left breast implant has deflated.  It is impossible to tell in a photo whether that deflation is complete, but your surgeon may have a better idea if any saline is left in the implant after examining your breast.  An ultrasound could be performed to check if any saline remains in the implant, but that may be an unnecessary expense unless that information is really important to you.

If you're sure that you have saline implants and have the documentation from your original surgery, an option may be to intentionally deflate your right breast implant (your surgeon could do this in the office by just sticking a needle in it and allowing your body to absorb the saline that leaks out).  In my practice, I would only offer this option to a patient with documentation that their implants are saline, as it would be a bad idea to do this to a silicone implant.  Intentional deflation of the right implant would give you the opportunity to assess the size and shape of your breasts without the additional volume of your implants and help you decide if you're willing to forego replacement.  It may also improve your final result if you choose to have your implants replaced, as your left breast has been slowly shrinking over the past 4 months and allowing your right breast to do the same may increase your chance for symmetry after implant replacement.  There's little downside to this option, as if you're having one ruptured 14 year-old implant replaced, I typically recommend replacing the other implant during the same procedure.  The incidence of rupture increases with the age of the implant and you don't want to be back in the surgeon's office a few months after your left breast surgery with the same problem on the right. 

Best wishes!

Lisa J. Peters, MD