Should I Have Seen Results Immediately Post-op - Lipo?

I had lipo on my inner thighs/knees yesterday. It was tumescent/smart lipo with suction. My surgeon removed approx x500cc from each thigh + inner knee (i'm short, pudgy legs, approximately 130lbs). When I stood up directly following the procedure, I didn't see any obvious change in the appearance of my legs. Was enough fat removed to see a significant change? I know fat was removed from my knee area, but I especially don't see any change there. Does the skin have to retract first? anxious.

+2

Hard to respond but removal of a 1,000 cc's should give a change in appearance by 2 weeks or a month. 

+1

Because of the procedure and the type of anesthesia used, it is very rare to see a visible change after just one day, by a week or two things start to show and will continue from there.

Julio Garcia, MD

Swelling following Liposuction

+1

After getting liposuction you will have swelling that can last up to six months.  Hopefully you were given compression garmets to wear 24 hours a day.  This will help with the swelling and contouring.

Ronald R. Hollins, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - Visible Results at 1 Day Post-Op?

+1

It's difficult to say but, in general, I would expect you to be able to see at least some improvement at one day.  However, it may be a while until you see that again.  The typical course if for swelling to increase for the first few days post-op.  I tell my patient that they can expect to see about 85% of the result at 4-6 weeks post-op, 95% at 3 months, and the final result not until 6 months, and sometimes even longer.  You should, of course, discuss all of this with your PS, who is the only one who knows what you looked like before and exactly what was done during the surgery.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Lipo results

+1

Immediately post-op at one or two days out it may be somewhat dificult fo ryou to see the results because of swelling.  Give it a few weeks but then you should wiat about 4 months to see almost the final result.

Inner Thighs Take Time To See Results After Liposuction

+1

It sounds like what I would expect from successful liposuction of these areas. The remaining numbing fluid is what made it "look like nothing had been done." Actually, these areas had been quite swollen at the beginning of the suction, so you were seeing it after quite a bit had been removed.

Please don't worry. By 4-6 weeks you should be able to see the results.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1

n some cases it is better that you do not see a change right away because then when all the swelling has gone in 2 to 3 months you will find out your surgeon took out too much fat leaving you with dents.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Results from Lipo

+1

Without before and after pictures, it is impossible to give specific comments.  That said, 24 hours after your procedure you may not see much of a change.  It takes time for the swelling to resolve.  It is way too early for you to get worried.  Hang in there.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Time frame for results from liposuction

+1

It generally takes several weeks or even months to see the final result from liposuction.  During liposuction tumescent fluid is typically injected into the areas that are to be suctioned.  This, in addition to the trauma/inflammation created by the procedure, leads to swelling that takes time to resolve.  The skin must also retract after liposuction.  I would recommend that you try to be patient and wait for your results to become visible.  This will happen gradually.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results

+1
You cannot evaluate the success of a procedure 24 hours after it has taken place. In tumescent liposuction, it takes a minimum of 48-72 hours before the body begins to diurese out the fluid and then the residual swelling takes weeks to resolve. My question to you is whether your plastic surgeon explained this prior to your procedure. If so, there is no reason for anxiety one day postop.

Robert L. Kraft, MD