Will Results from a Chemical Peel Be Permanent?

My face, neck, and "down there" are significantly darker than all the other parts of my body. It is because I have eczema and had a bad reaction to something that I put on my skin and ingrown hairs. My face is this really weird bumpy texture and I have dark lines on my forehead that looks like wrinkles. If I get a couple chem peels onmy face, will my skin go back to normal? And if I get Chen peels down there will the discoloration come back?

Chemical peel results for discoloration

+1

Thank you for your question; because you have a tendency for eczema I would recommend speaking with a dermatologist before getting any procedures. Treating inflamed skin can only make the discoloration worse and you run the risk of creating a bigger problem. Depending on the severity of the discoloration and your skin tone you may benefit from laser treatments to remove the pigmentation. Without seeing the areas it is hard to recommend the best treatments, your dermatologist will be able to give you different options for services.
-Best wishes

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Are the results from chemical peels permanent?

+1

The first thing that you should do is consult with a board-certified dermatologist.  Good control of your eczema is a critical first step in improving your hyperpigmentation.  You will also be advised on the treatment with chemical peels which often must be performed carefully in skin that is prone to chronic inflammation such as with eczema.  Please do not try to do chemical peels at home.

Is treatment with chemical peels permanent?

+1

First of all, it sounds like you need to manage this problem with a board-certified dermatologist--especially given your history of eczema.  Do not do chemical peels on yourself.  As far as whether the effects of chemical peels are permanent, the answer depends on what one is treating.  If one treats hyperpigmentation from acne and eczema with a chemical peel and the primary skin problem is under control the effects should be "permanent."  If one is treating a chronic problems such as melasma or aging, the effects will likely not be.

Web reference: http://www.dinastrachanmd.com/chemical-peels/index.html

Avoid self treatment with a chemical peel

+1

You should consult a dermatologist to examine your skin and offer appropriate treatment for you.  Do not self treat with peels.

Toronto Dermatologist

Caution advised

+1

I would be hesitant in using chemical peels on areas other than the face - especially with patients that are eczema- prone.  I would recommend the lightest possible peeling if any at all.  I also would recommend you be evaluated for acanthosis nigricans by your dermatologist.  This is a skin condition associated with diabetes that can occur in the areas you describe.  It will not respond well to chemical peels.

Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.