Untrasonic Lipo: Should I See Results of a Flatter Tummy Right Away?

My stomach looks the same and even a little bigger, it has been two weeks and a day.

Abdomen swollen after liposuction

+2

There are several causes for patient dissatisfaction after liposuction.

First, it is early after surgery and swelling still has to go down.

Second, if the deep fascia was loose, it will not tighten with liposuction, so will still bulge. This is a very common cause of dissatisfaction; that is why a reputable board certified plastic surgeon will always point out to the patient what is fascia and what is fat, and what they can expect from their procedure.

It is conceivable that not enough fat was removed, that loose skin prevented more removal of fat, etc., also sources of what could potentially be your problem.

Liposuction Results

+1

The   abdominal wall,  like every other area treated with liposuction surgery  may remain swollen for many months after the procedure.  At   2 weeks post op  It is much early to evaluate the results of the surgery. I tell patients it may take 2 to 3 months  for swelling to subside and 6 months to a year for skin to redrape  completely.

Swelling after liposuction

+1

There is swelling for several weeks after liposuction, and many people can't see the good results right away. It is normal to question if you will have improvement, but you can ask the doctor how many ccs of fat were removed and that can give you a comfort level that there will be improvement, unless not much was taken out.  Improvement is seen for three to six months after the liposuction but you should already see the improvement starting around a month to six weeks after as the swelling decreases.  Most surgeons recommend wearing the compression garment to minimize the swelling.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ultrasonic liposuction

+1

You may just have normal postoperative swelling but you may also have a seroma (which is a pocket of accumulated fluid under the skin)  that may need to be drained.  Ultrasonic lipo of the abdomen has a relatively high rate of seroma formation.  I did some ultrasonic liposuction years ago and did not like it at all.  I did not think it resulted in better or faster results that I get with tumescence liposuction and in fact, I did have a patient get a persistant seroma of his abdomen and it was a long time getting it to resolve. Ultra sonic lipo  is one expensive gizmo I am very, very glad I did not buy!

Make sure your surgeon sees you and evaluates you for a seroma. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Ultrasonic liposucfion

+1
Ultrasonic liposuction although frequently has less bruising the swelling may take longer to go away. You can expect continued improvement for up to 6 months

David L. Abramson, MD

Ultrasonic liposuction

+1

16 Days post ultrasound liposuction is very early.  Your body is still swollen and you will continue to shrink down over the next 6 to 12 weeks.  Watch your fluid and salt intake as too much of either/both will cause you to remain swollen longer.  Also remember to wear your compression garment.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and abdomen

+1

There is always alot of swelling after the procedure and you have to give yourself time to heal.  This may take a few months.

+1

UAL or VASER cause more swelling not less and a more prolonged healing phase. So it is the norm to be slightly larger after a few weeks. Over time you will decrease the size. 

Ultrasonic Lipo and Swelling

+1

Ultrasonic liposuction is a great tool when needed, but it is sometimes over used. Secondary to the additional ultrasonic energy used to help break up fatty cells during the procedure, additional swelling can result. How much is quite variable and can be difficult to predict. Two weeks, no matter what technique was used, is too early to assess your liposuction outcome.  Much of this depends upon the amount of tissue you had preoperatively and how aggressive your surgeon was during the procedure.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Ultrasonic Liposuction --> Better for some fat types.

+1

We uses Vaser ultrasonic liposuction quite a bit.  It's an expensive machine, not everyone has it, and fortunately not every patient needs it.  I don't tell patients to expect faster recovery or less swelling with ultrasonic technique. I do think these patients bruise less, but swelling is about the same.  Where Vaser shines is the removal of stubborn fat that wouldn't have come out with traditional lipo AND the tightening that happens a couple of months down the line.  The contraction of skin is better.  As I said not everyone needs that, but for those who do, it's hard to beat the Vaser in experienced hands.

Ritu Chopra, MD