Results of Face and Neck Lift

I am three weeks post SMAS face lift, submentoplasty and fat grafting. I have a nice new jaw line, scars under my chin(good) and inside, above and behind my ears( all good) but still have neck banding, in fact very obvious banding altogether spoiling my nice new face. What to do now? My swelling has completely gone - I am a quick healer and am happy with all the other aspects but as a professional keyboard player, when I lean over or look up, it is not a nice look in the neck.

Persistent Neck Banding after facelift and Neck Lift

+2

Regarding: "three weeks post SMAS face lift, submentoplasty and fat grafting. I have a nice new jaw line, scars under my chin(good) and inside, above and behind my ears( all good) but still have neck banding, in fact very obvious banding altogether spoiling my nice new face. What to do now? My swelling has completely gone - I am a quick healer and am happy with all the other aspects but as a professional keyboard player, when I lean over or look up, it is not a nice look in the neck."

It is hard to say without seeing your before and after neck pictures. I am assuming your neck was operated on and from your description your Plastic surgeon obvious knew what he was doing. The question is HOW was the neck treated, what is the result and what could be done to improve upon it.

At less than a month after surgery, it is way too soon to consider another procedure. If needed, it should be delayed by 6-8 months until all swelling has resolved.

In the meantime, IF the banding is caused by the underlying Platysma muscle pillars, they can be nicely softened with Botox.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea

Neck bands persist

+1

Three weeks is too early to determine whether or not the neck banding is going to be a persistent problem. It is wise to wait at least 6 months before determining whether or not revision work needs to be done on the platysma muscle. Botox may be a reasonable short term option which can give you improvement in thebands while you wait for the final result to take effect. Discuss these findings with your surgeon.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Treatment of Persistent Neck Bands Following Facelift Surgery

+1

At three week after surgery you describe having residual platysma muscle. bands of your neck.   The procedures that you listed seem appropriate but don't describe what treatment was done for the platysmal bands that you had preoperatively.  

At this point, it is too early to perform another neck lift surgery,  It would be best to allow the neck tissues to heal further and  soften for a few months.

In the interim, treatment with Botox injection of the neck bands may help.

There are several operations for neck bands that have been used and abandoned over the years, and It is important for you to understand that there is no perfect solution to platysmal neck bands.  

That being said, you should seek a second opinion consultation and have a thorough evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to get a fresh look at your concerns and perhaps a satisfactory treatment for your concerns.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Residual Neck Banding after Facelifting May or May Not Persist

+1

Residual banding after facelift surgery may be residual platysmal bands, or may be linear edema within the skin from dermal injury during undermining.

Linear edema will resolve with time, massage, and/or steroid injection. Untreated platysmal bands will not improve with time, and will, in fact, get worse.

Ask your surgeon if the platysma was thoroughly addressesed, and if not, you might consider revision platysmaplasty after several months of healing have allowed tissues to soften again.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck bands

+1

If you recently had a facelift and still have bands in your neck, perhaps the bands were not approached?  Also it is still a bit early in your recovery.

Swelling after necklift.

+1

It is unlikely that the thickening is permanent. Some irregularities may persist. However, given the timing of your recovery, it is not at all unusual that you have bandingat this point in time. Give it at least another 6 weeks and massage if permitted by your surgeon.

Facelift

+1

It is really too early to pass judgement.  Also you have to consider the before and limitaions of any given surgery.  You whould wait up to 6 months to see the final results.  At that time, if you still have neck laxity and bands, then you may need a revision. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Neck bands after face and neck lift

+1

There are a number of different ways to improve or correct platysma muscle bands in the neck, and sometimes the final results are not obvious immediately after surgery. Temporary improvement may be obtained with Botox. Revision with reoperation should be deferred several months if the result is still unsatisfactory.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Post neck lift banding

+1

you have many more months to see improvement. See your sugeon for followup and ask if there is merit in considering Botox for neck bands that are present now and to help them relax while you're healing from the surgery.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Platysmaplasty Probably Needed

+1

It sounds like you neede a full plastymaplasty with release of the platysma bands themselves.  This involves cutting the lower portion of the platysma muscle so that it cannot band anymore.  If you still have beanding, then this was not done at that time.  Botox can help temporarily, but you may need some sort of revision to address that issue.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon