Should I See Results 6 Days After Chin Lipo?

I am 6 days post chin/jaw lipo and I see no difference. Actually it maybe even looks a little worse. Based on my pictures, do you think this is just swelling? At a minimum, I'm wanting that little triangle of fat behind where my chin starts to curve down into my neck to disappear. I'm worried because it's been almost a week and I still see no difference.

Seeing the Results in the First 3 Weeks Following Chin Liposuction

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to have significant swelling following neck liposuction.  In some cases, swelling may be severe, and as a result the neck and jawline may look worse than they did before surgery.

During the procedure, the liposuction canula is passed through the subcutaneous tissue.  This causes disruption of the lymphatic channels and cellular injury, which causes swelling.

Significant improvement in swelling can be seen in the first three weeks following surgery, with the majority gone in about three months.  Small amounts of swelling may persist up to a year following surgery.

For these reason, it’s not unusual for patients to have difficulty seeing results in the first week following surgery.  It’s therefore important to have good communication with your surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to reassure you and make this a more comfortable experience.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction

+1

At 1-2 weeks, it is far too soon for an evaluation.  Wait for 6-8 weeks for an evaluation. Thank you for your questions and good luck with everything. 

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

6 days after chin liposuction

+1

6 days is too soon to see your results.  It takes a few weeks for the swelling to go down and several months for the skin to tighten.  Be patient!  You are young and and have good skin and should expect a good result.

If you have concerns, I would recommend you see your plastic surgeon.  He/she can help reassure you about the healing process.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

1 week post neck liposuction with no results

+1

The best time to view a liposuction result is the first day postop or after 6 weeks postop.      Significant swelling and edema are very common after liposuction procedures, even with the best compression devices and the most aggressive massage techniques.   Our goal as patient and surgeon is to minimize the swelling as it occurs.    

We give our patients herbal supplements to decrease their bruising and swelling when necessary.   We also involve a massage therapist or physical medicine and rehabilitation Medical Doctor from a very early stage.

Bottomline, you are going through the normal stages of liposuction healing.   Please continue to followup with your board certified plastic surgeon and follow instructions.     Your result will be patiently awaiting you in 6 weeks :)))

Paul S. Gill, MD

Neck Liposuction results

+1

Based on your photos, you had a mild amount of excess fat in the neck before the surgery.  Neck liposuction is a great procedure for young individuals who would like to contour their neck.  As others have mentioned, removing too much fat is not advised to maintain a smooth contour.  The skin incision as well as the bruising and swelling heals up in a week or two but the collagen underneath and the tightening effect takes time and most individuals feel that they look their best around 4 months though others may have to wait longer.  Good luck!

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

You still have some swelling at 6 days. Give it some time.

+1

It will take some time to see the final results of your chin liposuction.  I would recommend giving it at least a few months to all complete healing.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Results after Chin Liposuction

+1

Results after chin liposuction can be visible within one week in patients with a large double chin. Full results often take 6 weeks to as much as 6 months to visualize in patients who do not have a large double chin. Based on the photos you provided, you required only a little fat removal. Removal of too much fat in the neck leads to a very unpleasant result with verticle lines on the neck due to the skin being adherent to the platysma muscle.

Some patients require a chin implant to acheive the neck and jaw line they are looking for. This is helpful if the chin position is not as prominent on a side view as the  subnasale, or attachment of the upper lip to the nose. Check out chin implant before and after photos to see the difference.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction results

+1

Six days is too early to evaluate the result for small volume liposuction because the very area you wanted to reduce is the area your surgeon operated on, which is the area that is now swollen.  Your surgeon must be careful to avoid OVER suctioning the neck, producing a skeletonized contour.  Because you only needed a small amount of fat removed (judging from the photo), it will require several weeks, and even months, to really see your result.

Steve Laverson, MD