No Results at All with Restylane. Could the Product Have Gone Inert?

I had Restylane injected into the perpendicular lines above my upper lip last week. So far NO RESULTS. Could the product have been inert? There was initial swelling and some bruising, but there is no improvement at all in the area.

+1

The restylane may have been injected more deeply or more product may be necessary. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

No results after upper lip injections

+1

Most likely the product was placed too deeply, and the lines weren't really addressed.  The skin around the upper lip is very thin, and it literally lies right on top of a muscle with little to no intervening tissue.  In order to fill the lines of that skin, the injection would have to be very superficial.  Restylane used in this way would be likely to cause a bluish grey line called the Tyndall effect, caused by the very superficially injected filler showing through the skin.  I suspect that if you had Belotero, which is designed for this type of injection because it is not as viscous and doesn't show through, carefully injected into those lines, they would improve significantly.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Restylane and upper lip treatment

+1

Without knowing how much product was injected and how deep, it is very difficult to answer your question. I would suggest following up with your provider to discuss results.

Sam Naficy, MD

No results after Restylane

+1
Restylane doesn't go stale. It is individually packaged by the manufacturer and, so long as it is used prior to the expiration date, it should be effective in the hands of an experienced injector. Without before/after photos and knowledge of how much was injected, I can't comment with more specificity. Belatero is the newest product on the market and is meant to target upper lip creases so this is something you may want to consider.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

No results to upper lip, after Restylane

+1

If you are not seeing desired/expected results, it could be a matter of placement as well as the amount of product placed.  Restylane itself is inert in that it does not react with elements in your skin, but rather fill in as a volumizer.  It is best that you return to your injector for evaluation and express your disappointment with the outcome of this injection. 

(This answer is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for medical advice.  It is posted for patients’ general education only.  Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider for further evaluation of your individual case.)

Mireille Chae, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Lip Lines - No Results!

+1

Hi Anuelita.  Without a picture it's hard to say if we would have suggested the same treatment.  Typically when we inject the upper lip lines, we use Restylane, Belotero and even a little Dysport (Botox).  We also use deep laser resurfacing - Sciton Profractional - when the lines are not going to respond well to filler.  

There are several possible reasons you may be disappointed:  

1.  You may not be a good candidate for injections (laser resurfacing instead?).

2.  It's possible there was not enough product injected.

3.  The injection technique may have been poor.

4.  Belotero may have done a better job if injected more superficial.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

No results with Restylane

+1

The effectiveness of your treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. The video link below shows me injecting my wife’s lips with one syringe of Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

The injector, not the filler

+1

Usually no results means the injection was placed too deeply, but in fine lines above the lip one must be careful not to inject too superficially as well because you can see the product thru the skin. Belatero is a newer product made for this particular area and fine lines that won't show thru the skin. I find it very useful in the lip lines. Ask your doctor about it or find an experienced doc who can use it well. 

Lee P. Laris, DO
Phoenix Dermatologist

No results from Restylane

+1

When people comment that they had no results from fillers there are a variety of things, and rarely (as in never) is it the product itself. Injecting Restylane is an art and the depth and placement of the product is key. Also, the amount used is important. So, if you don't see the results you expected, I would return to your injector for an assessment.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD