Which Has Better Results for Acne and Acne Scarring - Photodynamic Therapy or a Combination of Isolaz and Fraxel Treatments?

I'm a 29 yr old female w/olive complexion who has had severe acne and acne scarring (lots of red spots, some indentations/bumps) for the last 4/5 years. I've tried everything (except Accutane) but nothing seems to work. Recently, I've been to two dermatologists. One recommended 4-6 treatments of PLT (Levulan Kerastick) and the other recommened 9 Isolaz treatments broken up by 3 Fraxel treatments.Which treatment would be more effective at giving me long term results and also be the least painful?

Treating both acne and acne scarring

+1

For someone who has acne and acne scarring, start by treating your acne.  If you are continuing to break out you are going to get more scars.  Depending on the type of acne you have, you can be treated with a combination of topical and/or oral medications.  Speak to your dermatologist and don't be afraid to be aggresive in treating your acne because you do not want to get more scars. 

PDT and Isolaz can be helpful in treating acne, but often the results are temporary and these do not help scarring.  Fraxel is a very good treatment for acne scars, but if you have active acne you can get some breakouts in the post-op period.  For that reason, I recommend that your acne is under good control before starting Fraxel.  Flat discolorations and red marks that remain after the pimples have healed will usually go away on their own if given time, but the bumps and depressions in your skin may only get better with a treatment like Fraxel. 

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Both are very acceptable acne therapies. If I were you I would ask to see and talk to at least 3 patients who have had each option of therapy to see which I would try. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski