As a Result of SmartLipo I Now Have a Thick Cordlike Scar in the Upper Left Quadrant of my Abdomen. What to Do? (photo)

I also have uneven waves and ripples, which dont bother me as much as the scar.

also the cordlike scar is within the abdomen- not on top of the skin. It is a fibroid type of feel, hard and thick and it is uncomfortable at times.

Why SmartLipo is Not so Smart

+1

Hi there-

The problems you are experiencing are unfortunately not rare after liposuction with laser-based devices like SmartLipo. The lasers used cause more trauma to the surrounding tissues and can therefore result in many undesired problems- some of which improve over time, and some which require intervention to resolve.

At this point, I would not recommend jumping ship- follow all of your surgeon's recommendations very carefully, and give it time (it will probably take a lot of time). If there is still a problem 6 months after the procedure, visit a surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (if the doctor who did the smartlipo is not) for a recommendation.

Difficult to opinion

+1

After looking at your picture, it is obvious to me, you were not a good candidate for smartlipo, you have stretch marks and loose skin. The best option for you is an abdominoplasty. The hard mass on your abdomen can be inflammation from excess energy, fat necrosis, hematoma or seroma, almost all of these will resolve with time, if less than 6 month, do not get injected with steroid, if you do you may get additional fat necrosis and irregularitie of the abdomen. You need to be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, again most likely you will need a abdominolplasty.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Complications smartlipo

+1
the sad part is that it happened. when this device first came out it was sold to plastic surgeons only. now anyone and everyone has it. the new machines are VERY powerful. unfortunately the most important thing is time and more time. the cord as you have heard need cortisone injections and external ultrasound. the depressions need fat injections. no one will predict how much improvement you might expect.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Your abdomen can be improved either with revision tumescent liposuction or with tummy tuck

+1

Hi.

Yo probably have either an organized seroma which has become scar tissue or  some fat necrosis.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

+1

Sorry for your issues. Try external ultrasonic therapy or lymphatic massages. Otherwise injections of steroids might help. Again sorry.