Is It Possible to Get NO Result from Liposuction?

I'm 9 days out from bilateral thigh liposuction to change my "pear shape," and I look exactly the same as before, with the exception of black and blue marks on my legs. My PS says I can still have results, but I'm wondering if this is normal? Should I really look exactly the same still? Is my PS telling the truth? I have been wearing a compression garment since the surgery (just took it off for 2 quick showers), and even in the garment I still have my typical, old shape. Thanks!

Liposuction Results?

+1

At 9 days after surgery it is much too early to evaluate the results of your liposuction surgery. Swelling is part of the healing process.  I ask my liposuction patients to wear a compression garment for 4 weeks post op surgery to help with the swelling.  The swelling can take months to subside and even longer for skin to “redrape".  At that point you will see the final results. 

Swelling after liposuction

+1

It is very common to have swelling that lasts up to 3 months following liposuction. Nine days is too early to see the actual results. Some of the swelling is due to the body's normal response to surgery, but some of it may be a result of the amount of fluid your surgeon injected during the procedure compared to how much liposuction aspirate was removed. Your body will resorb this excess fluid but it will take. Be patient, but if you have specific questions it is best to talk to your plastic surgeon.

Joseph Michaels, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and final results

+1

It takes several months to see the final results of liposuction. Remember that our shape depends not just on the subcutaneous fat component but the underlying bony and muscular architecture.

Be patient to see final liposuction results

+1

After any liposuction procedure there is swelling in the area treated.  This swelling needs to resolve before you will see results.  The swelling typically takes 3 - 4 weeks to mostly resolve, and up to 6 months to fully resolve.  Check with your plastic surgeon about the amount of fat removed to reassure yourself volume was removed and then be patient for the final result to show itself.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Not seeing result 9 days after liposuction

+1

Swelling is quite common especially in the first few weeks after liposuction. you may not see your good result for a while. You might be reassured if you ask your surgeon how many ccs of fat were removed.

Ronald Shelton, MD

How Long to Wait to See Results After Liposuction?

+1

Dear liposuction Patient from Scottsdale,
I agree with other surgeons, it is too early to judge the result of your liposuction surgery. It usually takes about one month for majority of swelling to subside and you will be able to see changes to occur. I would recommend you to communicate with your surgeon. Wish you a good healing.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Contour following liposuction: when do you see results

+1

Remember it takes 2-3 weeks to get back to your preoperative weight. You will start to see contour changes 4-6 weeks out from surgery and your final result somewhere between 3-6 months. Actively exercising and eating right in the time after the first month is critical to your success. On rare occasion you can see patients who do not get the contour they desire. This is often due to poor skin quality or tone. 

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Non-result from liposuction?

+1

It depends on how much fat was taken out but it would be very unusual to have a non-result from liposuction.  I certainly hope you were wise enough to go to a real plastic surgeon for this however!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction Results

+1

After liposuction, it typically takes 3 weeks for a significant amount of the swelling to resolve, and three months to see the results. Most patients will see improvement at 6 and even 12 months, as the subcutaneous scar matures. At nine days, you are not seeing your final results.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Let the swelling subside

+1

This is very common.  I am sure when you go back in 3 months - it takes that long to heal - and look at your pictures you will see the difference.  Just try to be patient as it does take time to see the final result.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon