Will I Get a Better Result for a Lateral Displacement if I Remove my Implants for 6months?

After leaking PiPs 365cc removed and replaced for Eurosilicone 325cc 4months ago I developed lateral displacement 6wks after replacement and the right implants sits far higher. I have been advised that there is no capsular contraction and for the best result recommends remove both implants for 6months allow everything to settle and then replace with 385cc Mentor silicone. Do you think this is the best option? Please help

Correction of Lateral Breast Implant Malposition?

+1

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of your goals, I do not think a two-stage procedure is necessary for most patients who present with lateral displacement of breast implants.  In other words, I do not think that it is necessary to remove the implants for a period of 6 months.

Generally, the lateral breast implant displacement can be corrected using an internal suture technique, decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implants toward the midline.   In my practice, this repair is done with a 2 layered permanent suture technique. The use of acellular dermal matrix is an option ( although not usually necessary)  especially if significant implant rippling/palpability is present.

I hope this (and the attached link) helps.

Pocket repair with acellular matrix instead of implant removal

+1

While each case is different and I can't make a specific recommendation for you, an option that is very useful is to repair the pocket with an acellular matrix such as Strattice or Alloderm. This creates a sort of living internal bra. Temporary removal of the implants can also work and would avoid the expense of an ADM, but that would be offset by the cost of a second surgery.

Richard Baxter, MD