Silicone Implants Removed After 26 Years ~ Results to Expect?

What results can I expect?

Long term effect of implants on the breast tissues

+2

After 26 years of having the implant there could be mild, moderate or significant sagging of the breast tissues and skin.

The long term effects depends greatly on the quality and elasticity of your tissues and the size of implants and how the implants were cared for...

There could also be thinning of the tissues and distortion of underlying ribs.

You may require both breast lift as well as removal and replacement of the implant.

A second option would be to do remove the implant and do a Breast Lift. You can then evaluate and decide if you are happy with the size of the breasts without the implants.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Breast implant removal

+1

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Occasionally, I see patients who just want the implants removed because they don't want the implants "to be a part of them" anymore.  Make sure you think about this and that this is the right thing for you.  It's difficult to say if you need a lift after removal -- no one will know exactly what your breasts will look like after the implants are removed until it is done.  Talk to a well-trained and experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and get good advice.

Removing breast implants after 26 years

+1

The resutls of implant removal after 26 years depend on your age, implant size, location (under/over), your volume of breast tissue, amount of tissue to be removed, etc. Generally you will see loss of upper breast fullness.

Removing old implants

+1

In my experience, many patients that have had implants for the length of time you have had them are frequently disappointed after the removal of their implant. I'd recommend you talk very carefully with your surgeon about his or her opinion regarding implant replacement or breast lift or both.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breasts After Silicone Removal @ 25 Years

+1

The appearance of your breasts following the removal of old silicone implants depends upon several factors. Your weight today versus when the implants were placed. If you have gained 30 of 40 pounds you may look OK but with some added sagging. The next question is the capsule around the implants. Is the capsule calcified and firm? If so then expect a more extensive surgical procedure to remove the calcium and capsular scar tissue. Is there evidence the implants are broke? They usually are leaking silicone after 25 years. What is your motivation to have these implants taken out? We have an album in our office of silicone and saline implant removals with no replacement. Most actually look pretty good, because the patients have uniformly all gained weight over the years. The decision to have a life is certainly not universal in our patients.

James Apesos, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Removing old implants

+1

Without an exam and even with an exam it is diffiucl to predict what the breast would like like after removing implants. Usually the beast tissue that you may have had before having implants would have thinned out a bit.

The resulting breast after implant removal

+1

In the short term, a properly fitted breast implant should have no effect on the breast or its tissues. In my opinion, breast change and age the same way regardless of the presence of the implant or its type. There are exceptions if the implant was not sized properly or in some way distorted the breast as part of the procedure to put it in. 

So generally within a short period of a few years the breast can be expected to look like it did before the implant was put in. The implant, acting like a pillow, is just removed and the volume is gone. It doesn't make the breast sag to remove it just as it doesn't lift it to put it in. 

The longer the period of time after the augmentation, the more chance there is for nature to change the size, shape, position, and quality of the breast skin and tissues. Weight changes and pregnancy effects can also add to these changes. I also don't feel that wearing a bra or not has anything to do with it. 

It is difficult to judge exactly what the breast will look like with the implant gone just as it's hard to show exactly what it will look like when the implant is put in. In general, I recommend removing the implant with a simple procedure through the inframammary crease and that's all unless the capsule around the implant is heavily calcified or abnormal. If the patient is then unhappy with the look of the breast, various procedures including even reaugmentation can be considered. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implant removal

+1

Well it depends on the size of your implants.  But your skin and breast have stretched mildly or significantly.  In addition, there is 26 years of sagging.  Thus, more than likely, you will need a breast lift after implant removal.  You may also benefit from breast lift with implant exchange.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Removal of breast implants may look fine after 26 years

+1

Your skin has stretched, your breast volume has changed, and your breasts have a greater percentage of fat than they did 26 years ago.  So, the appearance of your breasts after implant removal will depend upon all of the preceding changes, the size of the implants, and how well your skin's ability to retract after the weight of the implants are removed.  They may or may not look acceptable to you.  A breast lift may be needed or you may be happy.  I would have you wait 6 months at least to see what your breasts look like and let you decide. 

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Breast implant removal

+1

Breast implant removal  after 25 years,

Your breast hs aged by 25 years, you have lost some skin elasticity, breast tissue has changed, also the implant has stretched your skin, compressed the breast tissue and have breast tissue atrophy, Hormonal changes.

So it is very difficult to predict what shape your breast will be after explantation, but be prepared for the worst.

Cosult a plastic surgeon and he/she will give an idea after examination.