Is It Possible to Get This Rhinoplasty Result ? (Before & After Picture)

Im 23 and my main problem is the hanging columella that shows too much of my nostrils, makes my nose go down, it's also too close from my upper lip. 1)It it possible to get close to the result like show below ? 2)Is it possible to lift - SLIGHTLY - the upper lip by raising the columella? When I put my finger on my columella and that I raise it, it makes my upper lip raise too, does it work the same ? Im scared that after rhinoplasty, there will be too much space btw my lip and nose. THANKS !

Your image seems achievable and esthetically appropriate

+2

Based on your preoperative photo, your imaging seems well within the realm of surgical possibility. Further, what you have drawn seems esthetically appropriate for your face.

Drawing on a computer is easy- executing the same level of control in a rhinoplasty is more challenging. Seek out an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to maximize your chance of an excellent outcome.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Matching Photos for a Rhinoplasty Result

+2

When looking at these photos, yes, it is possible to come close to achieving those results, though not exactly because your nose is uniquely yours and not recreated with imaging software. However, using photos like this can be useful for determining your goals and for communication with the surgeon.

I would suggest on a nose like yours, removing the small bump on the bridge, narrowing the boney portion of the nose slightly, elevating the columella, and rotating the tip upwards with a slight thinning/reduction of the tip (ball).  This would increase the visual space from the front view between the columella and upper lip which might appear to lift the upper lip, but actually would not. The goal would be to make your nose harmonious and proportional with your other facial features.

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Is This Rhinoplasty Result Possible with columella and hump correction?

+2

My philosophy is that computer imaging is for discussion only.  You can achieve the results that you want, and there's no substitute for a consultation and proper preoperative analysis/examination.  Make sure you visit with a surgeon who's versed in rhinoplasty and ask for b/a pictures of patients with your type of nose.  You need a finesse rhinoplasty and not your typical "nosejob".

Ramtin Kassir, NY, NJ Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Rhinoplasty imaging / upper lip changes

+2

Hi Luna lima. It is certainly possible to achieve the result shown in the photo. Prudent use of imaging photos can  facilitate communication between you and your surgeon. However, you should realize that because that result is possible does not guarantee it. Your final appearance will depend upon the skill of the surgeon. Regarding your second question - Your concern about "too much space" between your lip and nose postoperatively is insightful. The white lip (the space between the red lip and the nose) may appear elongated after your surgery. Initially, this can appear dramatic to you since you are accustomed to your preoperative appearance. It will appear less dramatic over time as you become familiarized with the change. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. He or she can make modifications to your operation based upon your preferences. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Hanging columella, retracted ala and hump rhinoplasty

+2

The relationship of your columella and lip can be adjusted in addition to improving your profile and alar retraction.

There are a few approaches to the hanging columella. I prefer using a tongue-in-groove setback technique to treat this. It provides excellent long term support for your nose. Another approach involves removing some of the septum in the area. Elevating your columella in general will tend to lengthen your upper lip somewhat, though this is adjustable.

The dorsal bump is a common area to be addressed during rhinoplasty. The alar retraction can also be treated, though this does involve more advanced techniques.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Columella control

+2

We can lift your columela by

1- Shortening the septum and the force it places on the columlla - easy!

2-Trim the cartilage of the lower lateral cartilage that you can feel poking through the skin on the columella, better to change the shape of the columella, not so much for overall columella retraction - easy!

3-Reduce the Anterior nasal spine - this is the bone at the base of the columella, reduction of this bone will let the lip hang better - not so tented up and create more shape to the columella - easy!

4-Reduce the projection of your tip - will relax the hanging, tented up lip - be careful not to make it too small!

5- Your nostrils seem a little retracted, we can roll them down, making the appearance of the nostrils less obvious - more difficult procedure.

all of these can be done together!

Robert M. Freund, MD

+2

You have very realistic concerns but over the internet we all can answer YES but the results can be un predictable. There is ALWAYS risks in any surgery. We all want that perfect result but be ware and understand there are never any guarantees. 

Rhinoplasty could correct the issue

+2

From your picture there is a slight dorsal hump, the nasal tip is rotated at ~ 100 degrees and there is slight columellar show.  The bump can be removed, the nasal tip thinned and rotated along with a columellar tuck to refine your nose in a similar manner as the photos provided using a closed Rhinoplasty.  Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty can Not Shorten The Upper Lip

+2

Many of the changes that you have shown with your own imaging are possible. Hump reduction and tip refinement/elevation are all standard rhinoplasty changes that are done. Whether they will turn out exactly as you have is unknown but the result would likely be as least close to what you want to achieve. The one erroneous concept you have is that elevating the columella will shorten the upper lip. That is not achievable. Columellar retraction is done by removing a portion of the caudal septum. While this causes the columella to raise or retract, it will likely lengthen the upper lip as the location of the nasolabial angle changes. Shortening the upper lip can not be predicatably done by any manuever in rhinoplasty.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty for bump and profile refinement, and reducing bulbous tip.

+2

Rhinoplasty for bump and profile refinement, and reducing bulbous tip along with the reduction of the hanging columella are possible. This will not increase the upper lip. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best result.