Restylane Under Eyes But Hollows Are Still There? (photo)

I had .5 of restylane put under each of my eyes. However, the hollows are still there and the purple/red look didn't go away at all. Does my doctor need to put more in? Or should I have another procedure like IPL done? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to avoid the more costly surgery. Just not sure what the next step should be.

Restylane for Under Eye Hollows- You Usually Need More Than You Think

+2

The grooves (called the tear troughs) under your eyes are quite deep and will indeed require more Restylane. It's a bit surprising that you got this result from your injection simply because the results from the filler can be seen immediately. It is not uncommon, for instance, that I will inject a syringe of Restylane and then have the patient look at the result in the mirror. If they feel that the groove is not filled to their liking, then a second syringe is injected. We repeat this proccess until they are happy. This way, the patient leaves having been injected with the right amount of filler (enough to fix their problem but not any more than they needed).

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for tear troughs

+2
The amount of Restylane injected under your eyes was insufficient to make a difference. The mini-syringe is good for touch-ups but not for an initial treatment under your circumstances. Sometimes, if it looks like a bargain, it is too good to be true. I would recommend that you see an experienced injector, who is a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, and try an appropriate dose level before having any other procedure performed. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Half milliliter under each eye is insufficient.

+2

Unfortunately, filling the under eye area is an art and a science.  Your injector needs to be highly skilled in both areas to have a good treatment.  Looking at your photos, I suspect that you might need as much 2 ml of Restyalne under each eye.  If your doctor was only comfortable place this tiny amount, perhaps this is not the right injector for you.  You need to find a highly skilled injector who successfully treats the under eye area.  I strongly recommend trying to find someone close to home for this work.

Restylane and under eye treatment

+1

I would follow-up with the provider to determine whether or not you just need more product. It's not a bad idea to re-treat after starting with a conservative amount - and you'll likely be happy with the results after adding more product.

Sam Naficy, MD

Under eye hollowness still present after Restylane

+1

It is possible that your physician did not use enough of the Restylane and has taken a conservative approach if your hallows are still present.  The Restylane will not improve a purple/red look under the eyes. In this situation, laser and/or bleaching creams may help, but it would really depend on your individual circumstances.  Sometimes, dark circles under the eyes may be due to:

1) A shadowing effect which is generated by herniation of the fats pads present in the eyelids. 
2) The skin under the eyes thinning out as an individual ages, making the dark circles even more obvious (blood vessels are more noticeable).

I would recommend following up with your physician who performed the injections, and discussing what treatments may best suit your needs. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hollows persist under the eyes after Restylane

+1

It is hard to evaluate the results of your treatment without seeing photos from before.  Certainly, you lost nothing from having this done, and can easily return for additional treatment, and your doctor cannot be faulted for staying within your budget or for being conservative, knowing that more can be added.  IMHO, the problem with using 2 ml under each eye (4 syringes total) as was suggested, is that it becomes quite costly, and from that view point, surgery may look like a better option.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon