Restylane Not Working for Some "Lines" Under Eyes, Should I Try Laser?

I have been getting restylane for lower eye creases, and the doctor has mosty injected on the inner eye area. He seems to be unable to get rid of some lines/wrinkles on the outer part (even tried botox). I have one really bad one and want to know is this is a "job" for a type of laser treatment. Thank you for any clarification you can give me.

When to try laser

+2

This type of scenario is a good example of how an in-person consultation is better than anything me and my colleagues can offer you online. Moreover, the art of treating lines and wrinkles can't be managed by one product (company advertising notwithstanding.) This is where you need an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. Learning to inject filler or operate the laser takes days; understanding how to achieve excellent, lasting results only happens after working with many patients. CO2 laser resurfacing is certainly indicated for lines and wrinkles, but you need an expert to decide what is best for you. Recommendations can vary from peels to facelifts. I like that your doctor has been "working" with you, and hopefully he is someone who can either offer or recommend the full spectrum of available treatments.

Best of Luck,

Dr. Barbara Persons

Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

+1

Without a photo provided its difficult to determine the best option for you, I would recommend a thorough consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what may be best for your aesthetic desires.

Addressing fine wrinkles under the eyes

+1

Sorry to hear about your problem area. An appropriate skincare regimen, resurfacing procedures such as peels and lasers, and finally Botox or Dysport injections can address fine wrinkles under the eyes. Have you tried a peel before? If you have not responded to any of these treatments, laser may not be a bad option. Without examining you in person and seeing the area that is bothering you, it is difficult to give precise advice.  I would recommend speaking with your physician who is performing the injections to see their recommendation on what the next step should be. He or she will be able to assess your needs and make a good suggestion. Thanks and good luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Treating eye wrinkles is complicated

+1

Treating the delicate area around the eye area requires different treatments depending on the person. Some patients may require surgery for the best results. Others can achieve great results with a combination of Restylane or Botox or Fraxel or Thermage. One size doesn't fit all.  It is best to get an opinion from an experienced dermatologist. 

Michele S. Green, MD

Restylane and eyes

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures - you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern.

Sam Naficy, MD

Fraxel Lasers For Lines Under The Eyes

+1

Lasers such as the Fraxel (i.e. fractionated lasers) can be great for this classic "problem area" as the laser can be used to soften and smooth out those troublesome fine lines while simultaneously creating a mild tightening and firming effect to the skin (by collagen contraction).  The tightening effect further serves to "pull out" the wrinkles.

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatment around the eyes.

+1

Laser resurfacing and tightening of both lower and upper eyelids as well as the lateral crows feet area is quite successful when the the concerns are about overall laxity and fine wrinkles.  It will not work if there are noticeable fat pad bulges and if there is severe laxity of the entire lower eyelid.   This can be assessed with what is referred to as a 'snap test'.  This refers to pulling the lower eyelid down for 5 seconds and releasing.  If the lid snaps back into position quickly then tightening of the lower lids can be done with laser.  A slow return suggests higher risk that the lid tightening would permanently pull the lid down.  Not pretty if that happens.  I use the Sciton laser utilizing several passes that smooth the skin, tighten it and finally drills some energy deeper into the dermis to create a longer term tightening of the skin. 

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon