Restylane for Under Eyes

How long does Restylane under the eyes last? Is the procedure done in one or two treatments for this area?

Is Restylane the right treatment for you ??

+2

"if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything seems like a nail", is one of my favorite quotes. Today, there is a 2 pronged approach to treat facial aging and there are things that fillers and Botox do that surgery can not do, and visa versa.

While Restylane can improve the bottom junction where baggy eyelids end and the cheek starts, you should discuss with your surgeon whether a lower eyelid blepharoplasty is a better , and more permanent choice. I had a blepharoplasty on my lower eyes when I was 32 years old and it was one of the best things I ever did, other than marry my wife. I'm now 58 and still think it looks good, so realize there is a point at which you may tire of ongoing injections.

I do perform Restylane injections to the lower lid junction and have been happy with the results which typically last about one year. But remember, that you need to be evaluated by your physician to determine which treatment is best for you. One advantage of Restylane is that it can quickly be reversed with an injection of hyaluronidase, if for some reason you were dissatisfied with the result.

Restylane under eyelids

+2

Restylane under the eyelids is something I perform on a daily basis for my patients. I wholeheartedly recommend that this procedure be performed by only the most experienced physicians.

Just yesterday, I corrected a patient who had been injected with Perlane (the thicker cousin of Restylane) by a novice injector. Fortunately, an experienced physician knows how to undo the effects of Restylane. Once you are with a physician who you trust, the amount of Restylane required is much less compared to other areas of the face. This makes the procedure great and cost-effective. When you correct the tired, saggy look under the eyes, you will be so pleased with the result!

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

I don't inject Restylane around the eyes

+2

Some physicians have success with Restylane around the eye. However, you need to find an expert who does this frequently and ask to see results on other patients.

Juvederm is longer lasting-9-12 months as opposed to 4-6 months for Restylane.

I do not do this procedure because I have seen patients with permanent lumps and discolorations. There also has been a reported case of blindness following this procedure in England.

I use a procedure called a transconjunctival arcus marginalis release and fat grafting for a permanent result. See before and after photos.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

How long does Restylane last under the eyes?

+1

Restylane under the eyes can last anywhere from one to four years; the procedure is done in one treatment in this area.

Lisa Airan, MD

Restylane for lower eyelid rejuvenation

+1

Someone with significant aging of the lower eyelid is best treated with a surgical lower eyelid blepharoplasty which I perform often.  However, for the patient, with minimal lower eyelid aging, Restylane injections to the tear trough or lower eyelid can do just the trick.  I like to inject this hyaluronic acid gel here as it blends the lower eyelid/cheek junction well.  I prefer to utilize a blunt microcannula to inject Restylane here as I can do it safely with no bruising.  I may perform one or two treatments in the first one to two months and see results that last 6-12 months.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Treatment for the lower eyelid

+1

It depends on technique and your metabolism and if it is placed below or above the muscle. The range is from as little as four to six months and up to a year or more.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Excellent option for the right patient

+1

I can often get very nice results with Resylane injections underneath the eyes (usually placed in the tear troughs). I will sometimes combine it with either laser tightening of the lower eyelid skin or a chemical peel to get even a nicer result. This can usually be done in one treatment, and usually lasts a year or longer.

This is an advanced injection technique so I would recommend going to someone in your area with experience in using Restylane in this manner. Ask to see their before and after photos and make sure they're comfortable with this, otherwise the results can be poor.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Restylane under the eyes lasts a long time, but is tricky to do right.

+1

Hi!

This is one of the more common uses for Restylane in our plastic surgery practice in Manhattan.  It can last a year, and you only need one treatment.

But it is easy to get lumps.  So you need an experienced injector.  See link below for names in your area.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Restylane under eyes can last one year, sometimes more

+1

I have found that restylane lasts longer than a year in some of my patients.

In general, I tell my patients to expect a touch up at about 9 months. However, most patients end up not needing a touch up, or any further injection until approximately one year.

I have also noted that there is less swelling with Restylane than other hyaluronic acid products in this area.

Good luck.

Behrooz Torkian, MD

Most patients don't need more than 1cc of Restylane

+1

1.5 cc of Restylane for the tear trough region is much more than average and probably more than most patients need. Most patients do not require a full 1 cc syringe split between both eyes. The most recent consensus statement in Plastic and Reconstructive surgery details the use of hyaluronic acid in different areas of the face and fully supports my statements.

Although some patients will have Restylane last more than 1 year in the tear trough region, the length is variable. I agree that hyaluronic acid will last longer in the tear trough than the nasolabial fold. Most physicians attribute this to less movement in the tear trough than the nasolabial fold.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon