Can Restylane Travel into Other Parts of the Face?

I got injections three days ago, ( 1cc total ), mostly into my right nasal labial fold. A few months ago I had 2cc total ( by the same person), injected into both nasal labial folds and into the outer parts of my under eye area. The right is really a problem. I noticed the fold looks hollow again but just above the fold is a buckle as if the filler has moved. I've been pushing it back down but I don't know if that is harmful. I've had injections before and this was never a problem.

Hollowness after Restylane

+2

Many people like to inject on top of another filler after a few months because it actually allows the fillers to last longer this way. It's a way of stacking the injections and it allows you to use less product over time, with better results. By doing 2 syringes a few months before the 1 syringe, it allows the particles in the Restylane to sort of bond together better and last a great deal longer than if you did 3 syringes at first, and then waited to return to baseline. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck by stacking fillers then waiting for them to go away before you do them again.

My assumption is the following: nothing moved, but the area above the actual nasal labial fold was filled in on the right. Your injector didn't put it right into the fold itself but rather above it a bit, which makes it look like the line is still there and now you have a buckle over it. It's not that's it's hollow "again" it's that it actually wasn't filled it. See your injector. Personally I don't recommend that you try to push the filler around at all. By injecting you with a numbing agent again, your injector can move the filler better than you can. He or she may also need to inject a bit of hyaluronidase into the area if it's still too much there.

Can a filler migrate?

+2

I believe there is a chance for an HA filler (such as Restylane) to slightly migrate or shift after the injection.  No, it cannot migrate great distances, but can locally shift or clamp together, especially if there is a muscle activity nearby which can move the filler. I think massage is a good thing to do, as it may help to even the filler out.  Speak to your doctor and let him examine you. There is a role for Hyaluronidase to dissolve an excessive filler, but I would try to use this option as a last resort only.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Restylane and migration

+1

Follow up with your provider for further assessment of the areas you had treated. Sometimes gentle massage is all that is required for optimal outcome.

Sam Naficy, MD

Restylane Travel into Other Parts of the Face

+1

Generally, restylane does not migrate. However, what it sounds like you are describing is an accumulation of product near the same part of the face as injected. Request to see the injector to check you before you attempt to manipulate or massage the area on your own. Hyaluronidase is a possibility to dissolve the product.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

+1

Yes, the filler can move slightly or once the swelling from the injections goes down, it may become obvious that some of the filler was placed above the nasolabial fold.  I like to massage the Perlane or Juvederm into the target tissues right after it's injected which makes migration less likely.

Restylane is somewhat mobile initially after injection

+1

It is hard to know what occurred in your case without more info and pictures, but Restylane and the other HA fillers don't migrate much once they have 'set.'. I often massage the product just after injection, but I warn my patients against further massage to prevent any more product movement. After a few days the product shouldn't migrate much if at all.  Discuss with your injector.  Sometimes
Hyaluronidase is helpful in this scenario to remove the product...best wishes!

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Restylane travel

+1

Good question.  I would say no, that Restylane does not travel from the site where the doctor injects it.  I do agree with the use of digital massage to see if you can GENTLY manipulate tthe implant to the desired site.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Mostly no.

+1

However, what you are describing is not Restylane traveling to a different part of the face but simply settling in the same part of the face.  In particular the nasolabial fold treatment, especially at the top were it goes to the base of the nose, is under tension.   Filler here can easily be pushed into the surrounding tissue creating unwanted fullness.  If the effect is bothersome, your injector can shape this product with hyaluronidase enzyme.