Does Restylane Thicken Earlobe Skin So I Can Keep Stretching/Dauging my Ears?

I've been stretching/gauging my ears for quite some time. A few years back my left ear split completely. I had surgery to fix it, I waited the full year to get it peirced and then another full year before I started stretching it again. But now that it's getting up to size with my other ear its seeming a little thin. I'm wondering if a restylane injection would possibly increase the skin in my earlobe? If not is there any sort of injection or procedure that I may benefit from? Thanks in advance

Restylane for earlobe

+1

Hello. I read all the above comments and thought about this carefully. I routinely inject Restylane in earlobes to make them plumper and it works great. However if I understand the question correctly, injecting Restylane into the earlobe will not make you stretch it more. Dr. Behnam.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Restylane Work for Earlobes?

+1

Hi sfo.  It's unlikely that Restylane or any other filler will help you achieve your goal of continuing to stretch your earlobe further.  

Although dermal fillers can be used to augment tissue that has lost volume, the primary purpose is not to strengthen the tissue, which is what you are looking for.  We would suggest you stop stretching the earlobe vs. trying to use a filler to strengthen it.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Filler does not add skin, only volume under the skin. Your earlobe will tear again eventually.

+1

I agree with the surgeons here who have CAREFULLY read your question, not the ones who don't seem to have. Placing Restylane filler into the stretched lobe may help it look plumper but will not strengthen the skin much. Where you have already had a tear, the scar tissue will never act as 100% normal skin in terms of stretchiness and ability to withstand tension. If your left earlobe was already naturally smaller than the right, this may be why it tore in the first place and the right one didn't. If so, trying to gauge the lobes up again, you will eventually get to the same place and it will retear, making future stretching even less likely to be tolerated.

If you want to try the experiment, you can, but be prepared for total failure and some death to skin tissue, preventing future piercing altogether.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Restylane and Juvederm Fillers for earlobe augmentation

+1

Yes, fillers such as restylane and juvederm are excellent choices for augmenting earlobes.  They typically last 9 - 15 months and are easy to use.  While this will not actually increase the amount of skin, it will expand it and therefore give you a nice result.

The other option to look at is the size of the other earlobe - that is, it may in fact need to reduced.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for Earlobes

+1

Restylane injections are an excellent way to restore earlobes to their former shape and size. I frequently inject Restylane or Juvederm into the earlobes to give them a fuller, more youthful appearance. It is injected beneath the skin so it will not affect the skin itself.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane can be used to give substance to the earlobe

+1

With aging changes, the soft tissue of the earlobe is gradually lost (just like it is on the face).  The earlobe collapses and folds.

One of the hallmarks of a youthful face is having visible earlobes that reflect light.  Generally in a youthful face, light is reflected off the brows, the cheekbones, the earlobes, forehead and chin.

Filling the earlobe with Restylane restores the earlobe to a more light-reflective, firm youthful appearance. 

Why are you stretching the earlobes to the point of tearing them?

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Gauges and ears

+1

Gauges will caus teh earlobe skin to thin and will definitely split again. I would avoid the gauges completely and probably not suggest restylane.

Your earlobe will eventually split again.

+1

Sure, Restylane is great for plumping up the earlobe.  The reason your earlobe split is that you are abusing the earlobe and stressing the blood supply to this tissue.  Eventually the earlobe at its most dependent part will give away as there is not enough blood circulating in this location to sustain the tissue where it is being stressed by your manipulation.  In fact filling this thin spot with Restylane may choke off the last little bit of circulation in this tissue and hasten its breakdown.  I predict that you will figure this out and ultimately realize that your earlobe cant support what you are trying to accomplish.

Restylane injections provide great earlobe rejuvenation

+1

I use Restylane commonly for earlobe rejuvenation. Your idea is sound and may work well. The stretching may continue though over the years and eventually you may need an earlobe revision to support earrings without them tearing through. There are several different techniques to repair torn earlobes but for now the filler, Restylane may provide the necessary support you need.

Ronald Shelton, MD