1 day post Restylane injections to my lips with swelling. My lips are enourmous- when should I panic? (photos)

I got restylane injections in my lips yesterday and the doctor told me the swelling would only be noticeable to me and that I could go to work. That is definitely not the case.  When can I expect this to subside? I'm freaking out.

Restylane and lip swelling

+1
From your photos I can see a considerable lip swelling.  I would return immediately to your treating physician for evaluation.  How many cc's were injected?  You may need to be injected with Vitrase to dissolve the Restylane. 

1 day post Restylane injections to my lips with swelling. My lips are enourmous- when should I panic?

+1
Never panic. I recommend contacting your doctor's office and letting them know that you may have a problem and that you will continue with ice for a couple of more days before going in to be seen. They may offer to see you right away. If there is an issue of too much Restylane, this can be addressed with hyaluronidase. Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after lip injections

+1
Although swelling after fillers into the lips is not uncommon, I would suggest you discuss with your surgeon.

I would recommend you discuss with a Board Certified Dermatologist with expertise with Restylane

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling After Lip Injections

+1
You need to be evaluated at the clinic where you had the procedure.  If it is determined you have no allergy and the lips remain too large after a period of time, you can have the filler broken down with hyaluronidase.  It is best to have a hyaluronidase allergy test before treatment.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post injection

+1
There is no question this is more swelling than normal but the degree of swelling will vary from one patient to the next.I would keep icing it and it 3 to 4 days the swelling should go down significantly.Be patient.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Restylane

+1
We routinely prescribe a medrol dose pack when patients have a hyaluronic acid filler (Juvederm and Restylane), because flash swelling can occur (albeit infrequently).  This can be dealt with fairly expeditiously by calling your Doctor.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
I have seen this swelling reaction infrequently following HA filler injection to the lips. It is an allergic reaction to the cleaning agents or the preservatives in the fillers. Please seek medical attention if this continues in the form of a steroid injection and a Medrol dose pack by mouth... 

Lips swollen after Restylane

+1
Everyones lips are different when it come to swelling after a procedure. Most do not swell this much but I will assure that mine certainly do. My lips swelled tremendously after Restylane, more than I have ever seen in any of my patients. The swelling took a few days to go down. Be patient, apply cool compresses and take some Ibuprofen(unless some reason why you can not).

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Very swollen lips after Restylane

+1
You don't need to "panic" at all, but I do understand your concerns. Yes, your lips are very swollen. Yes, it will go down. Swelling can take up to 2 weeks to fully resolve. Ice on and off, take a Benadryl, get some Arnica from a local health food store, and sleep a bit elevated. Also, keep your hands away from it and don't press on it! All of this will help with swelling. If your lips are still too large after the swelling totally resolves, you can always have some hyaluronidase injected to remove some of the filler.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Swelling after lip augmentation

+1
I completely understand your concern.  Your lips do look very swollen.  The good news is that this swelling will go down.  For now, I recommend that you use ice packs (not directly on the skin) on and off for 20 minutes at a time while you're at home.  Some ibuprofen can also help with the swelling- take this only if directed by your physician. 
Give your lips at least 2 weeks to recover, and then re-evaluate.  If they're still too big at that time you can always return to your injector for further management and treatment options.
Hang in there!

Erica Linnell, MD
Seattle Dermatologist